Isle of Wight - day trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robing

Über Member
I've done this several times as a day trip, it's fab. I've always got the catamaran from Portsmouth Harbour station. ItsI right there, good connection to Waterloo and quick journey. Plus you get to start and end your journey along Ryde pier :smile:
Which way I go depends on the prevailing winds particularly on the exposed southwest section.going cw roughly follow the round island route to ventnor then Niton. Excellent ice cream van here on the hill. Then military road to freshwater, you can fly here with a tailwind. Optional cycle to the Needles. Then follow the round island route across chain ferry which used to be free but think is charged now. Then back to rydepier for a coffee while you wait for your boat back. Be warned, it's very hilly!

Hi there, just wondered if anyone has done a day trip over to the Isle of Wight? Was thinking about popping over and doing a loop of the island.

I was looking at train from London to Southampton 7.39am - 9.12am
ferry 10.00am - 11.00am
cycle
ferry 19.30 - 20.30
train home 21.00 - 22.22

I did a bit of googling and apparently even though the ferry takes longer from S.Hampton, is it easier with the trains from London (waterloo / victoria)

Transport would be about £60. A lot for a day trip, but cheaper than staying over night and still having to add transport. Are the times a bit tight? not sure how far the ferries are from station, apparently not too far. Thanks
Only time its happened but lost the headset on Ventnor hill...LBS sorted it for me...too much weight in front panniers.

chain ferry which used to be free but think is charged now

£1.50 for foot passenger with bike. Cash only. (Really useful tip: its good for a return journey - even if you do it a year later!!!)

Proper really useful tip: Do check its working before you leave for IoW. There is a new boat in service that has had major teething problems since starting.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Thanks. I was going to go the Sunday just gone, but thought it would be better to go on Saturday as would get home late in the evening. Might do this weekend if weather good and stay in London

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Hi again, BH weekend coming up, sunday maybe an ideal time to do this trip. speaking from experience, who can give guidance on...

train
victoria - portsmouth harbour
07.32 - 10.08
with the ferry leaving at 10.15!!!! I know some have said the ferry terminal is right next door, but on a busy weekend, is this too short a time? website says to be there 15mins before sailing. Only other times mean a 3hr train trip with changes.

train
waterloo - southampton central
07.54 - 09.34
with the ferry leaving at 10am. 10mins on bike apparently between the two places.. Ah, correction. Just seen on red funnel that there is a 30mins walk-on quick-crossing ferry which leaves at 10.15 which takes about 23mins, that would give me plenty of time!

very hard to work out as don't want to get to the island too late in the day, ie midday.

I could leave the island at 18.15, and catch the 18.55-20.24 home to waterloo

Weather permitting, and I stay in London, then this could be a go!

fatjel

Veteran
Did a very similar ride a few weeks ago..
Camped in the New Forest and took the early ferry Lymington - Yarmouth
Had a slow cycle round with lots of lunch
Was a great day out ,

https://www.strava.com/activities/1551647670

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Morning. ok update, i made it. phew! Train out was 20mins late to arrive, so i missed first ferry. They did hold it for a few minutes, but just not long enough to get a ticket and board. Didn't get to island till midday. Such a fantastic day, weather was perfect!! hot sun with still that spring freshness in the air at times. lots of other cyclists too. Route that Racing Roadkill gave was very good. Only problem was at the end i realised he started at Cowes and i was off to Ryde! So i was watching the miles go down to his finish, and thinking there was plenty of time, but i had much further to go lol. Still, i got an earlier ferry that expected and a better train with no stops back to clapham junction. Very long day, but very worth it. one of the best routes i've done for a long time, maybe that is the traffic, or the scenery, i dont know. maybe it was because all the spring flowers were out, the colours were amazing. maybe because it was somewhere different. Whatever it was, it was amazing and i would defo recommend going. Thanks for all the help and advice given.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1600985215

train out (about this time) - 08.43 - 10.52 + 20minutes late, so missed the 11.15
ferry out - 12.15
ferry home (i think) - 17.47
train home - 18.17 - 20.28

ferry was about £19
train about £30.

Top Bottom