Isle of Wight Randonee, Sun 3rd May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
http://cycleisland.co.uk/

Who else fancies this? It's free, and there's online pre-registration for the East Cowes start.

I'm going to be heading over on the Saturday evening, and staying in a guesthouse in Cowes both the night before and night after (there's a chain-link ferry across to East Cowes).

Anyone any experience of getting a trike on trains from London to Southampton?

Ben

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm on it. Local train journey from Winch for me.

Getting a trike on? Mmmmmm. To be fair to SWT you stand more chance than with most other companies and I've never had a problem with the staff. I think its only the 450s that go to Scumton, the 444's are used for the Pompey run, but I might be wrong. There's a reasonable amount of bike space on the 450s but it can get clogged with luggage, though this is less likely at off-peak times. I've managed to get a tandem on in the past, but not from London

PM hackers (hackbike666). He's a SWT driver so he might know the score.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Oooh ohhh. Just remembered that last year they had engineering works on that weekend so I ended up driving to Southampton (I could have ridden but give a man a break!). Might be worth checking for similar this year.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Driving is not an option for me - even a Brompton is a tight fit in my car!

I have to say all the train companies seem fine on commuter services, but I haven't yet tried an Intercity one.

Will PM hackers as you suggest, thanks.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

It's all Greek to me anyway, guv!

Have PMed Hackers and pointed him to the thread.

Ben

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'll be there again, for the tenth year. I get the train from Waterloo to Portsmouth and have never had any problem getting the bikes, there are normally five of us, on the train, even if there are more bikes on the train than are allowed. The staff at Waterloo, and on the train are understanding and have not said anything. I stay near to the start at Kite Hill campsite near Wootten and start at 9.00. Anyone who cares to join us are welcome.

Ben Lovejoy said:
Thanks, Paulus. Why Portsmouth rather than Southampton?

Do NOT ask that question down here if you want to live!

There is a certain "rivalry"

I shall be there as usual, probably on the Trike

Across from Portsmouth on the Gunwharf ferry and start from Wootton.

As an aside there is pre-registration at both Wootton and Cowes

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Ben Lovejoy said:
Thanks, Paulus. Why Portsmouth rather than Southampton?
The polite answer is that the crossings are a bit quicker from Pompey all other things being equal. The Red Funnel from Southampton has to trundle down Southampton Water for about half an hour before making it to into the Solent. Both are interesting little journeys in their own right as there's plenty to see on the crossing.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Cool, I shall look at a Portsmouth crossing, then.

Rich, there are various start points. I'm starting at East Cowes.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Ben Lovejoy said:
Cool, I shall look at a Portsmouth crossing, then.

Rich, there are various start points. I'm starting at East Cowes.

I think the Pompey ferries go to Ryde or Fishbourne. Cowes is only served by the Southampton ferry. You can start at any of the checkpoints though, so unless you're determined to start at Cowes then this shouldn't be a problem.

Top Bottom