Isle of Wight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
I thought I would share my most recent adventure, of cycling around the Isle of Wight, clockwise, and post a few snaps from my day and a half tour of the island. For someone like me I find this type of sharing invaluable so I hope you do too.

Day 1.
I got an early train to Portsmouth and had planned a trip to the ferry terminal but I received the added bonus that you just walk off the train into WightLink ferries, in my case for the catamaran to Ryde, it's less than 20 minutes and bikes are free. A return ticket is £23. There are also ferries to Fishbourne which take a bit longer. I arrived at Ryde at approximately 8.45am. I had a map of the island but just cycled from the ferry pier and followed the signs (blue, in my case, for clockwise, white for anticlockwise). I cycled for about 50 miles on day one to my destination of Totland Youth Hostel (£26 for the night) however I made a couple of detours including a visit to the old battery of The Needles (National Trust £4.80 or free if member), well worth it. With a couple of sandwich stops I arrived in Totland at 3.30pm. It was a beautiful day and mainly wind assisted though still quite chilly. After a fish and chip supper I chatted to a couple of other cyclists then slept like a log. For me the highlights were Ventnor, Chale and The Needles.
Day 2
An earlyish start, I jumped on the bike at 9am. This time I headed to Freshwater then followed the signs. Weather was much colder and facing the wind so I just got my head down and cycled. One mini stop to eat some fig rolls and drink some water. I found it quite hilly, consistently, nothing major but then perhaps yesterday had caught up with me. I arrived back in Ryde just in time for the 13.47 ferry, so about four and a half hours in the saddle. Cowes looked nice though I didn't stop.

The trip could be extended for longer and there are quite a few cycle routes mapped out along the way though mine was merely a cycle round the island. I clocked just under 80 miles including cycling to and from my home station in Hove though I think the official route is 64 miles! They say it's slightly more forgiving if you tackle it clockwise though you can do either route from Ryde. I'm sure some people do it in a day though for me this was perfect and quite leisurely - average 10.1 mph - and that included enjoying the views.

I hope you find this useful, I know I would, and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks.
View attachment 21603 View attachment 21604 View attachment 21603 View attachment 21604

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 83

akb

Veteran
Nice one. We are off to the IOW in mid may for some camping and landscape photography. Beautiful place, we love it there.

stu9000

Ooh. Sounds good. I'm gonna have to book that in

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Enjoyed reading that, it's something i'd love to do in nice weather.

You missed the obligatory photo of the steed that carried you though and the cake that powered you ;)

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
There you go. A panino with fennel salami and pecorino was the fuel, obligatory photo of the ageing Dawes attached!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 61

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Hi, nice little read. Sounds like a great time.

I am thinking of going across to the IOW this year. Do you think its best to spend a few days or can I see enough in 1 long day?

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Hi, nice little read. Sounds like a great time.

I am thinking of going across to the IOW this year. Do you think its best to spend a few days or can I see enough in 1 long day?

Depends what you want to do - we took the 9:35 ferry from lymington to Yarmouth, and took the riding very easy - coffee stop in Cowes, lunch at Sandown, evening meal at Yarmouth. We didnt do any sight seeing apart from the lovely views you get on the coastal roads. If you wanted to do Osbourne house for example, spend some time on the beach, etc., then you'd want more than a day, but if you just want a leisurely ride around the island, one days enough.

I'm probably going to do it again in September...

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Depends what you want to do - we took the 9:35 ferry from lymington to Yarmouth, and took the riding very easy - coffee stop in Cowes, lunch at Sandown, evening meal at Yarmouth. We didnt do any sight seeing apart from the lovely views you get on the coastal roads. If you wanted to do Osbourne house for example, spend some time on the beach, etc., then you'd want more than a day, but if you just want a leisurely ride around the island, one days enough.

I'm probably going to do it again in September...

I am not to bothered about sight seeing, just would like to ride the whole island like you have done with your friends, that looks awesome. I think I will save your Strava map to remember your route.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

Top Bottom