Isn't it scary and exciting when you meet people from the past

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A few years ago I got chatting to a customer in a small village out in the wilds of Pembrokeshire. The subject turned to where we were brought up and it turned out we were next door neighbours in east London back in the mid sixties. She moved had out to get married the year we moved in, but her parents were next door for years afterwards and I got to know her dad very well, in fact he helped me change the back axle on my first drop handlebar bike.

keithmac

Guru
When I moved into our house a fair few years back I was working on our car on the drive, a voice came over the hedge asking if I needed a hand.

Turns out it was a good mate from secondary school and he lives 10 houses down from us!. He'd done a stint in the army and came back to settle down.

There's another 3 "proper" mates from secondary who moved all over the country but we manage to get together for a drink a few times a year.

I've kept in touch with my best friend who I first met when we started junior school, and we meet a couple of times a year, although we live 150 miles apart.

We've both gone to two grammar school reunions, 40 years and 50 years after the year we started. I was in two minds about going but I am really glad I did. After walking into a room full of old people I eventually remembered them all after a few hints.

There were no surprises. The ones I liked then I still do, and the ones I didn't get on with so well in the past I still wasn't keen on. The jokes and insults were still the same. I also still found the girls women I went out with and fancied attractive....in a much more mature and non-sexual way of course, and could talk to them without blushing or getting tongue-tied. :wub:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
One of the not so great things about my job is that i tend to get sent all over london. And I have on occasion come across people that i knew in pre-school and went primary school with. So thats a 20-25 year gap. I tend to be pretty good with faces but not so with names and some people look the same way as they were back then but just a bit older :laugh::laugh: - I dont know how to explain it... the same facial characteristics are still there.

My dad still bumps into people he used to play football with back in the 60s and 70s when he lived in Stoke Newington.

Im not really a superstitious guy but sometimes its just fate, and other times maybe just potluck.

I was never one to bother with reunions though, but maybe im not yet at that age when i start wondering what happened to all the people i used to go to school with.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
In the 1970's I had a great friend whose family moved away circa 1975 and I never saw him again. Wind forward to 2018 and we had an inquiry at work from a consultancy with his surname. I mentioned the co-incidence, as I thought, to the secretary who told me the director was on holiday in Hong Kong.

Imagine my surprise a few days later when I got an email from him...yep, my old school friend I hadn't seen in 43 years!!. Great to catch up:okay:.

Top Bottom