Isn't it scary and exciting when you meet people from the past

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
At my sister's funeral a couple of months ago I was astonished at the number of old women who came over to tell me they'd gone to school with me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Left the area I grew up in, when I was 22. Went to a reunion when in my 30’s. Otherwise haven’t seen anyone from school days. Other that is than one time I was coming out a shop, near my mothers, and a policeman stopped me. Turned out to be a mate from primary school. How he recognised me I don’t know, but the brain must be very good at mapping child faces into adult ones.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I meet-up with friends from school and architectural college now and again- it's amazing that we can pick up where we last met as if the years haven't separated us all.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Did my A-levels over 30 years ago but gave the recent school reunion a miss. A few bad memories that i'm happy to leave in the past!

But still have several good school friends - we meet annually each xmas for natters, nibbles and drinks.

Somehow we've all remained good health. Oops, tempting fate.

gbb

Legendary Member
After a childhood with parents in the RAF, you never spent long enough anywhere to form those deeper friendships and I sometimes envy my wife who still has friends from school on her FB, 45years later.
Still, occasionally I meet colleagues from 30 years ago, always nice to have a natter, even if only in passing.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It hasn't worked for me. I somehow got to meet up with my best friend from school, last seen when we were 13. He had emigrated to New Zealand and he turned up wearing a cowboy style jacket and shirt and a bootlace tie, he seemed suspicious, small-minded and not particularly pleased to see me. More recently we held a reunion in Leeds of our year of graduates in 1979 and it was hugely disappointing to see how weird and cranky most had become. They were all languages graduates but none seemed to have much of a worldly outlook.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
I’d be happy never to see anyone else from my school, other than my best mate who I’ve known since I was 12. They were knobbers then and I have no intention of wasting any seconds of my life talking to them now

Lullabelle

Banana
A couple of years ago, on facebook I crossed paths with someone I knew at primary school, we became 'friends', I blocked her after a while because every post was about her, she and her husband went to a friends house for a celebration meal-she was in every single picture! Cannot be doing with all that me me me thing :headshake:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I only know one person left from school days all the others are dead now. My friends now are more recent from my scuba days and cycling club. My late wife still had friends from college days who kept in touch tho’ they rarely met. Most of them are dead now also I think but I am not in touch with them.

robgul

Legendary Member
In the last couple of years a new member of the cycling club I belong to turned up and we got to chatting ..... turns out that we were both in the same first-year class at grammar school (over 100 miles away from the area where we now live) in 1958. Not just that, another club member worked for the same firm that I did in London in 1969 - I was in the ground floor sales office, he was in admin on the third floor.

Rob

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Three years ago three old school friends and I met up for the first time for 40 odd years. Late last year we repeated the trick and booked a hotel in rural Hampshire for a meeting. One has lived in Australia for most of his life, and he has been the instigator on his return visits. It was very interesting to catch up on extremely divergent lives.

Top Bottom