Isn't occasional rail travel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
a bargain?

I've just purchased a Leeds to Portsmouth single for £31. Admittedly it's for mid-July and when combined with a Portsmouth - St. Malo ferry crossing, I'll still have change from a £100.

I'll be better organised for my pedal from Kings Cross to Waterloo this time. I got on the Portsmouth train with only a minute to spare last year.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Indeed it is. A few of us doing the Loughborough to London ride next saturday got first class singles from London to Loughborough for the pricey some of £15

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
ianrauk said:
Indeed it is. A few of us doing the Loughborough to London ride next saturday got first class singles from London to Loughborough for the pricey some of £15

Complimentary drinks :biggrin:? Will you be getting that far out of Loughborough?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Book in advance and off-peak and you can pick up right bargains.

But not many people know their journey that far in advance nor the exact time of travel. This is why the trains companies charge us a fortune.

Twiggy

Not so much, no... Turn up and go fares are anything but.

Popular routes even worse, since you can so rarely get any of the cheap tickets before you go.

From where I am it's cheaper to drive to London than to take the train, with two people it's less than half the cost of getting tickets.

longers

Legendary Member
I've been making use of some of the excellent advice given after I asked a bit back and have had some decent priced journeys recently.

A friend who came to visit recently "turned up and went" and paid not too far off twice the price I had paid to make the same journey at similar times. We think the cheaper tickets can be got up to 6 o clock the day before.

Shaun

Founder
I used a train for the first time in ages a couple of weekends ago on the way back home from the FNRttC.

Cleethorpes to Barton-on-Humber - £5.60

I was expecting it to be around £20 so was pleasantly surprised. (Although I have no idea about the prices of things, so may not have seemed such a bargain to seasoned rail travellers ... :biggrin:)

I was knackered after the ride so more than happy to part with some cash to shave a good chunk of miles off've the ride home to Hull. :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

taxing

The train from Hull to Beverley is a right bargain, it's only £3.55 with a young person's railcard. Bus fares are almost that, and the train takes 13 minutes, the bus takes nearly an hour.

vernon said:
a bargain?

I've just purchased a Leeds to Portsmouth single for £31. Admittedly it's for mid-July and when combined with a Portsmouth - St. Malo ferry crossing, I'll still have change from a £100.

I'll be better organised for my pedal from Kings Cross to Waterloo this time. I got on the Portsmouth train with only a minute to spare last year.

NO!

The price includes lots of farting about and advance notice.

In the real world (turn up and buy a ticket for the next train) the same journey is £104.10.

Two people in first class (more like the comfort of my car) will have to pay a total of £388.00 to do that on the next available train. Plus £10 in taxi at each end to get you to where you come from in Leeds and want to get to in Portsmouth.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Well clearly the answer is yes if you are able to book well in advance and no if you aren't.

The best bargain I got was a couple of years ago when I wanted to join my family for the weekend - London-Bristol on the coach (very comfortable, as it happens) for....wait for it, wait for it....99p.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[quote name='swee'pea99']The best bargain I got was a couple of years ago when I wanted to join my family for the weekend - London-Bristol on the coach (very comfortable, as it happens) for....wait for it, wait for it....99p.[/QUOTE]

Typical - Rip-off Britain! :tongue:

Top Bottom