Isotonic Drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trek Trauma Chris

I have started to use those Isotonic drinks during my ride. I have tried Tesco's own and now Lucozade, but both leave a phlegm like substance in the back of my throat and therefore I keep having to spit as I ride and going up hill it is irritating the harder I breathe.

What do you guy's drink and what makes.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Orange juice and in the summer a little bit of salt added

Garz

Squat Member
For 30+ miles I tend to take an isotonic/sport type powder mix concoction. Anything less only warrants water. The lucozade ones in the small tubs seem to do O.K for me.

zizou

Veteran
nuun tablets seem to work the best for me. one tablet to a water bottle and it tastes decent too, not too strong or sweet like alot of sports drinks are.

zacklaws

Guru
50grms Maltodextrin or Glucose and 20grms Fructose in a 750ml bottle with 1.2grm electrolyte powder and 150mg or 200mg caffeine. Flavoured usually with blackcurrant cordial.

ASC1951

Guru
Plain water for the first 50 miles or so, then 50-50 water and cola.

zacklaws

Guru
Riverman said:
That would kill you, very easily. It would give you a massive heart attack. :biggrin: Just one gram could give you a heart attack.

200mg of caffeine though will dehydrate you a fair bit, so not sure it it's worth it.

My error, ment it to be milligrams.

Oddly enough one of the cycling magazines, "Health and Fitness for cyclists", last year published a similar error regarding caffeine stating that you should take 3grms per kilo of body weight. Despite informing them twice about it being a lethal dosage, they never acknowledged my messages or even corrected the error in the next edition

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Water usually - but my rides are 12-mile commutes.

If I go on longer leisure rides, I will take water & Aldi's own version of Isotonic Lucosade.

Bananas & some flapjacks are useful tool. A bit of dried fruit also.