Istanbul to Lisbon - What Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neil_D

Hi everyone,

Me and a friend are going on a 3-month cycle tour May-July this year from Istanbul to Lisbon. Longest trip we've done before is London to Paris. Given the step up in distance we're thinking it might be time for new bikes :smile: Any advice on what we should get for such a long trip?

I did London to Paris a couple of years ago on an aluminium-frame Kona Zing with a couple of pannier bags fixed to the back. It did the job fine. Although, I'm thinking potentially front + back pannier bags this time, and have been told by a couple of bike shop assistants that a steel-frame bike is what we should go for. We're also planning to box up and fly the bikes to Istanbul. So ability/robustness in dismantling and assembly is a consideration.

I've always been used to road bikes. I'm not overly sold on the idea of getting a specific touring bike. The idea I most like at the moment, is getting a steel-framed cross-bike, adding on pannier racks, and carrying a couple of spare brake disks on the journey. The Genesis Croix De Fer looks like a nice option with good reviews. Is this the right way to go?

Also, last question. Mudguards or not? I've never used them myself, and survived London to Paris in torrential rain. Given the likely Mediterranean weather, is this just added unnecessary weight?

Any advice on what bike to get, or just general touring advice, much appreciated.. :smile:

Cheers,

Neil

vickster

Legendary Member
The Surly bikes are popular for long distance rides, e.g. http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/56931/Surly_Disc_Trucker_700c_2013_Bike

Top Bottom