It’s beginning to look not a lot like Christmas....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Our tree is going up on Tuesday.The earliest in thirty years.Mrs P had the idea.And I fully agree with her.

bagpuss

Guru
Got my costume ready for the big day!?

1606589450028.png

Ome of the advantages of being of Jewish heritage is not giving a sheet about Crimbo. Mrs D is Catholic, but in reality the Catholic church also pays it little heed as there's not much profit in it for the Vatican.
In this part of France it's fairly low key, nothing like the UK. Christmas eve is the night for celebrations, Christmas day less so.
More is made of the New Year.
I avoid all religions and feel a bit miffed we all have to pay for the upkeep of the church buildings. Mind you it's a nice church and I wouldn't want it to fall down.

byegad

Legendary Member
I avoid all religions and feel a bit miffed we all have to pay for the upkeep of the church buildings. Mind you it's a nice church and I wouldn't want it to fall down.

Yes being a devout atheist and humanist when we bought Byegad Towers we were warned we could be called upon to contribute to repairs to the local godbothering hut.

As it's a new estate the solicitors took out, for us, a single payment insurance policy to cover that. Of all the expense of buying selling and moving that single, low payment really pissed me off.

Nobody offers to pay for the supply of babies and virgins and to cover wear and tear of our filleting knives used at each sacrifice we atheists hold.

Yes being a devout atheist and humanist when we bought Byegad Towers we were warned we could be called upon to contribute to repairs to the local godbothering hut.

As it's a new estate the solicitors took out, for us, a single payment insurance policy to cover that. Of all the expense of buying selling and moving that single, low payment really pissed me off.

Nobody offers to pay for the supply of babies and virgins and to cover wear and tear of our filleting knives used at each sacrifice we atheists hold.
have never heard of such a thing.
And I thought very few new churches were being built anyway.
Or was the new estate built on church land and they did some deal before flogging it/selling it on a long lease?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Good.

My facebook feed however appears to be rapidly filling up with images of people's trees :rolleyes:

While I totally agree with @Fab Foodie's sentiments regarding getting back to basics, if the exit from lockdown Mk1 is anything to go by despite being show a better alternative most will just flock back to their previous shallow, selfish, consumptive ways :sad:

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
have never heard of such a thing.
And I thought very few new churches were being built anyway.
Or was the new estate built on church land and they did some deal before flogging it/selling it on a long lease?
It was privately owned land, previous owner is 'lord of the manor' so was liable for church repairs. A fraction of which fell to each house. Even though we're freehold!

Top Bottom