It’s not in my job description!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember in a previous job we were introducing some new technology and (some of) the team who'd be working with it were moaning "we've not been trained on that". The more keen people were thinking "Ooh, sexy new tech. That'll look good on my CV. Yes please, put me down for that!". In my field (IT / telecomms) you really wanted to keep up to date with the new stuff; vital career wise, but also more fun, so I never understood the attitude.
Ha - Instead of 'Do 3 months worth of work in 1 month using familiar technology', that becomes 'Teach yourself the new technology (which normally takes 3 months of study) as you go along and do the 3 months worth of work in 1 month using that'! :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Most people I have encountered in business tend to be flexible and appreciate that things just need doing.

Inflexibility, I think, is one of those qualities that tends to hold people back in their careers especially corporate company environments.

To that list I'd add the following generalisms:

An over-inflated sense of worth and entitlement. Often seen in new to the workplace graduates.

An inability to understand what the company goals are and how you can add value.

A failure to appreciate the bigger picture.

A failure to invest in self improvement and close down knowledge gaps.

An inability to fit constructively within teams.

Finding nothing positive to say about anybody who is senior to your position as well as those who work alongside you.

Failing to respect the contributions of those junior to you.

Not giving credit where credit is due and 'stealing' credit.

A failure to 'graft' by being a 'bare minimum employee'.

There's more but that'll do for this post.

I not sure if it works in some environment. If you think that you are assigned too much work tell supervisor to revise it, promote you or get a pay increase. Telling them that it is not in your job description cause a negative perception especially if the description is rather broad.

I know of a few cases, these guys never lasted long or lost favour because of the manner of approach.

One of the biggest issue is passing on the assignment from a lazy worker to a diligent employee. Poor supervision. Supervisor should be sacked.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ha - Instead of 'Do 3 months worth of work in 1 month using familiar technology', that becomes 'Teach yourself the new technology (which normally takes 3 months of study) as you go along and do the 3 months worth of work in 1 month using that'! :laugh:

Well, no, not really. It's more like someone who's a steam locomotive mender given the chance to learn about new fangled diesel engines

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, no, not really. It's more like someone who's a steam locomotive mender given the chance to learn about new fangled diesel engines

In your case, maybe...

As opposed to learning how to dock with the International Space Station when your capsule is at a range of 1 km, and closing fast! :laugh:

In my experience, the steam engineer would be told that (s)he had to fix a severely damaged diesel engine, in less than 2 hours, using worn-out steam engine parts. :whistle:

gavgav

Guru
Who here regularly reads their job description, or knows it in enough detail, to regularly use that age old “it is not in my job description“ disclaimer to get out of doing a task asked of them?

I started my current job around 5 years ago and, apart from reading the JD in order to complete the application form, haven’t looked at it since.

I ask because I encounter a couple of individuals who, from time to time, start quoting sections from their JD, and even from the JD of others in arguing that they should not be doing a particular task. It often comes to the point of debating the meaning and context of a phrase and even specific words.

As long as what I am asked to do is reasonable I really can’t be bothered with that nonsense.

I just point them to the last point in the JD…….”Any other task deemed reasonable” well I’ve deemed the task reasonable and so I’m asking you to do it please 👍🏻

Reactions: C R

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
As long as what I am asked to do is reasonable
This should be the only measure, but it does depend on who judges the reasonableness.

My longest single working day was 50 hours
Fair play. My longest claimed continuous duty (not when self employed) was 46 hours. I received both a letter of thanks and a bollocking from the same senior manager, the first after the task was completed and the second when he processed my overtime claim.

By implication, if you're being asked to do something that's not strictly 'your job' you've either not got much of your own work to do, or your normal job will get behind. As long as the latter recognised and I'm suitably trained and it's safe, I just tend to crack on with what I've been asked to do.

I tend to try and make my bosses job as easy as possible, and fully expect them to reciprocate, or they'll hear directly from me why they should. I don't tend to get into long debates with them, if they don't respect my help, it doesn't happen again, and they are firmly and calmly told why not. I'm quite happy to deal with any consequences that may come as a consequence, be they good or bad.

I've watched too many people spend hours stood telling others how 'busy' they are.

Reactions: C R

Mike_P

Guru
Problem is too many managers have not done the job for so long they have no idea what problems actually exist in the day to day work due to changes made in the meantime; working paperless for example when you need to compare a number of documents which simply could have been laid side by side when on paper and the task done pretty immediately now takes a good number of minutes.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have been with my present company for 18 years. They have been great to me and I really like my job as a sail maker. I have also cut grass, cleaned windows, delivered gear to Italy and Sweden. Plus lots of other things not in my job description. I would never turn round and say "Its not in my job description". If its helping the company then it should be in my job description.

I have been with my present company for 18 years. They have been great to me and I really like my job as a sail maker. I have also cut grass, cleaned windows, delivered gear to Italy and Sweden. Plus lots of other things not in my job description. I would never turn round and say "Its not in my job description". If its helping the company then it should be in my job description.

The bold text is important; a company that looks after its people earns the right, or at least the goodwill, to ask them to do different things that may not be in the job description. Many companies forget this.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The bold text is important; a company that looks after its people earns the right, or at least the goodwill, to ask them to do different things that may not be in the job description. Many companies forget this.

That's very true. I took a weak off after my ex-Mrs miscarriage and afterwards put in a holiday form for the time off and another for a couple of months ahead.
My boss looked at them and said "Yes, fine, I'll sign this one, but I'm not signing that, and tore one of the forms up and threw it away". It took me a few seconds to realise he'd thrown away the form for the week I'd taken off. There was no "compassionate leave" request or any paperwork - the week off had simply been taken care of without fuss. I recall years later one of my team wanted to book time off to care for his wife's convalescence after surgery. "You can work from home" I said. "No I'll have to look after the kids as well so won't be able to. "No, you can work from home" I said slightly more forcefully and he said "Oh, I see. Thanks !" Our boss was beside me,and I hadn't even consulted him but, he just said "c'mon, do keep up!" He also said to another of my team when her husband was in hospital after a heart attack "wtf are you doing in the office?" . To be fair work was probably helping distract her from worrying, but the clear message was "take whatever time you need, and don't worry about work at all"

When asked to do extra to finish something, or simply because your know it's important you just do it when you know they'll look after you as well. Admittedly it's a bit easier when you have a bit of flexibility as a manager (albeit unofficially) and where you have six or 12 months projects rather than "who's minding the shop on saturday" type planning to deal with

Top Bottom