It’s stuck, proper stuck I tell you!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Replacing the headset bearings on a Caad 10. Unfortunately the outer casing of the lowest bearing is seized solid in the aluminium frame and won’t budge. I suspect a winter of sweat on the turbo has added to the problem. I’ve tried applying heat and gallons of WD40 to no avail. I’ve also tried to ‘chisel’ it free from above, but the retaining ridge in the headset makes it difficult to access the bearing.
Any suggestions?

Brandane

Legendary Member
You seem to have exhausted the DIY options, so....
Take it to the professionals, i.e. proper bike shop, who will be equipped with the necessary bearing puller to extract it in a matter of minutes...
When putting in new headset, put a thin layer of grease in the bit it fits into, to make it easier next time.

Water Displacer (batch 40) is exactly when the manufacturers gave up dispelling water as the "this is brill" for my chain became more profitable. GT85 is only a little better IMHO, Plusgas is the much, much better to release stuck bits.

MudCows

One thing you could try is to cut it out very carefully with a hacksaw blade, I mean super careful. You might need to make two opposing cuts, then you can just fold it in on itself and hopefully pull it out with no damage done to the headtube. Only try this as an absolute last resort.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My seat tube. I had two years off my fixie after smashing my hip on it, and when I eventually pulled it out of the shed I thought 'I suppose I ought to wiggle the seat tube.' Ha.

Much Plusgas later, still absolutely solid. Couldn't be stucker if it was welded. Doesn't massively matter, as it's just right for me, but still, :sad:

Replacing the headset bearings on a Caad 10. Unfortunately the outer casing of the lowest bearing is seized solid in the aluminium frame and won’t budge. I suspect a winter of sweat on the turbo has added to the problem. I’ve tried applying heat and gallons of WD40 to no avail. I’ve also tried to ‘chisel’ it free from above, but the retaining ridge in the headset makes it difficult to access the bearing.
Any suggestions?
I suspect a winter of sweat on the turbo has added to the problem .... just don't mention that to @Fnaar !

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Hmm just wondered in here and I’m in the exact same position!!! Seized solid and no ball bearings left ! Will put up a separate post on what headset bearing I need !

soaked the inner race that was stuck to the crown with GT85 ! Left it an hour and it just tapped off !

Last edited:
Top Bottom