IT Geeks! Laptop slowing broadband

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What OS? How is laptop connected to broadband?

(My guess; email with a big attachment, AV update, filum download, Windows update, something Ma Thatcher did)

Just leave it on overnight would be my first step.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 3599293, member: 45"]Windows summat or other. It's the same whether it's on wifi or plugged directly into the router.

Is there a way of seeing what data is being up/downloaded, if this is the case?[/QUOTE]
Process Explorer is great for showing exactly what a Windows machine is doing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ctrl Alt Del, run task manager, sort by CPU usage, processes at the top of the list will almost certainly be your bandwidth hog(s).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 3599320, member: 45"]Yeah, I've done that though. Nothing showed up as to being significantly busier than anything else.[/QUOTE]
Disc light 'thrashing; the while?

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
It could be the positioning of your router. Could also be a fault with the router or an incorect setup with your laptop...selecting channels, frequencies and all of that blah, blah...I'd start by moving the router though...then call those annoying folks who provide service...this link is quite handy when it comes to self exploration if you're feeling adventurous though...also...some providers will give you their basic box when you take out your contract...they will have stronger boxes but like to send the cheap stuff out first, because it usually works ok...TalkTalk did this with us...threw every excuse at us but then sent us a better box, free of charge and now it's all lovely....had a similar thing sith Sky years ago as well...

http://www.itworld.com/article/2827...peed-stinks-and-what-you-can-do-about-it.html

Doseone

Guru
There were twenty eight updates for some Windows OS this week - if this is the first time you've turned laptop on since Tuesday (when they release the updates) most likely it is automatically downloading those.

Ootini

Sounds like a data collision. Is the laptop picking up an IP address automatically from DHCP? Or is it set manually for some reason?
Basically a data collision occurs when a device (the laptop) gets turned on and insists on using an IP address that another device might already be using. Then the router has trouble figuring out where the data is coming from and going to, normally brings networks to a grinding halt.
To find out if this is the issue, start the laptop, go to control panel, networking settings and go to the properties page for the wireless adaptor (I don't use windows much so this is all from memory). If there's an IP address already listed, like 192.168.1.15 for example, tick the "Get IP address automatically / DHCP" box and restart. Should fix it.
If it's already getting it manually, check your other devices. If they're all getting IPs automatically, then I have no idea.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
[QUOTE 3599481, member: 45"]We've done all this. Router is fine, and is plugged in to main phone socket. Problem is the same when the laptop is plugged directly into the router. I've spent hours on the phone to Virgin, who try to get me to do the same basic checks every single time (I made a complaint about one of their operators because he was lying to me about what the fault was).[/QUOTE]

Gorshk. I do sympathise...worst I ever had was Sky who insisted on getting an engineer around, meaning time off work...came round and then told me exactly what I'd been telling them for the best part of 2 months..."you're routers farked mate...I'll order you a new one..." :evil:

Meditation helps...but even that lets me down after a couple of minutes speaking with broadband providers.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Gorshk. I do sympathise...worst I ever had was Sky who insisted on getting an engineer around, meaning time off work...came round and then told me exactly what I'd been telling them for the best part of 2 months..."you're routers farked mate...I'll order you a new one..." :evil:

Meditation helps...but even that lets me down after a couple of minutes speaking with broadband providers.
If only one could talk to a broadband provider rather than their useless car centre staff.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 3599481, member: 45"]We've done all this. Router is fine, and is plugged in to main phone socket. Problem is the same when the laptop is plugged directly into the router. I've spent hours on the phone to Virgin, who try to get me to do the same basic checks every single time (I made a complaint about one of their operators because he was lying to me about what the fault was).[/QUOTE]
Turn every device off tonight. Turn your laptop on. Login. Leave it until the morning. Do you still have the problem?

When you go into task manager are you clicking show processes from all users, if not you may not see some processes. Also click on Performance and Resources to see what is using all the memory. Also try killing a few svchosts processes and see if your broadband improves. Normally those processes restart so it'll be a brief respite but it may offer you some clues.

You can also try altering your startup config by running msconfig from the search box on the start button. Initially you can disable everything on startup and then add things back in groups until you get the problem, then you know what you are looking for in terms of troublesome programs.

Finally it could be your broadband is crap!

Top Bottom