It had to happen at some point.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wlc1

I've been commuting now for about 7 months and been problem free up until this morning.

I finished work at 0600 and got chaged at work. Al the clobber on and was making great progress home - 1 mile into the journey. Pop Pop

A double puncture. Great!!! And only 1 spare tube!!!

Rang work and a mate came out and drove me 16 miles home. Result.

Thanks to the bloke who stopped and offered his help. Appreciate it.

So, slept today and up now and taking the summer/race ride out... can't be arsed to drive cos the traffic is so terrible.

Happy days

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
For a second there I thought you were going to tell us that you'd been hit. Phew. :rolleyes:

Both wheels eh? What was it smashed bottles (fave of the chavvy boys around here)?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Bummer dude. Why don't you carry a patch kit as well as a spare tube? That'll cover you in this sort of case, and it's saved me a few times.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Sorry to hear that :ohmy:

I must admit to being a bit of a Captain paranoid over that. I run Ultra Gatorskins, carry two tubes and a puncture repair kit :biggrin:

marooncat

Panter said:
Sorry to hear that :biggrin:

I must admit to being a bit of a Captain paranoid over that. I run Ultra Gatorskins, carry two tubes and a puncture repair kit :biggrin:

I carry two tubes and a repair kit as well. Before I started doing this I had the slowest ride to work one day having used up my only tube about a mile from home and I was petrified that I was going to get another puncture and get stranded!!

Tynan

Veteran
so perish the inner tube club

Ipatch unless I really really don;t fancy it, the tube is for emergencies otherwise, it's quicker to patch and it saves me money

hackbike 6

I normally carry more than one tube.(at least 4) I have had both wheels suffer a p*nct*re when I hit a pothole at Mile End in the rain.

I don't patch en-route as generally I haven't got the time and also if something goes wrong then the inner tube goes down again.

I don't really agree that it's quicker to patch as opposed to getting a new tube out.IMHO.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tynan said:

Ipatch unless I really really don;t fancy it, the tube is for emergencies otherwise, it's quicker to patch and it saves me money

Que? You don't recycle tubes? I change tubes because it's quicker than patching, and then patch them at home, put them ready for use again.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Tynan said:

How is it quicker to patch? not having a pop just genuinely interested.

Like Mikey, I patch at home and carry repaired tubes with me. Repairing at home, with my feet up in front of the TV, takes me a good 10 minutes (allowing for adhesive to dry etc) and that obviously doesn't allow for removing/refitting the wheel and tyre.

jezhiggins

Panter said:
Like Mikey, I patch at home and carry repaired tubes with me. Repairing at home, with my feet up in front of the TV, takes me a good 10 minutes (allowing for adhesive to dry etc) and that obviously doesn't allow for removing/refitting the wheel and tyre.

I patch at home too, but have been enjoying the miracle of self-adhesive patches. Best invention since inventions were invented.

jay clock

Massive member
I cannot believe it is quicker to remove wheel, tyre and tube, find hole, patch tube and reassemble than simply to stick a new tube in.....

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
jay clock said:
I cannot believe it is quicker to remove wheel, tyre and tube, find hole, patch tube and reassemble than simply to stick a new tube in.....

Nor me, I stick a spare tube in and patch at home

Panter

Just call me Chris...
jezhiggins said:
I patch at home too, but have been enjoying the miracle of self-adhesive patches. Best invention since inventions were invented.

Can I ask which ones you're using? I was under the impression (purely from reading on forums, never used them myself) that these were pretty useless.

They sound ideal if they work well, specially if the worst thappened and I did blow both spares through missing a thorn still in the tyre or something.

Neilwoo123

Hi Guys,

Do any of you use slime?

A mate of mine keeps going on about it, he does a lot of off road/downhill stuff. I was unsure if you can use it in racing tyres 700x23?

Any advise?

Top Bottom