It had to happen one day, clipless moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flossyrockstar

Über Member
Yes today was the day I ended up on the floor, the 1st time falling of the bike.

50 yards infront of me the traffic lights were on red, so a slow roll to the lights I thought, (I've been through these lights many times before) and knowing how the sequence of lights work I knew they was going to change very soon (spotting the opposite lights were changing to amber)

But my timing was about a second out, my brain was calling to my foot, "clip out now" but my foot had other ideas, and then everything seemed to go in slow motion,
The bike stopped, and I went down like a tree being felled. flat on the floor and then my foot decided to unclip its self, a bit bl**dy late now I thought.

Well good job I'm thick skinned, I was ok, the pedal and the bar tape have got a little scuff on them, so not to bad. and no one around apart from a couple of cars at the lights who just drove off.
Been there, done that, got the tee shirt and scuffed bar tape. Welcome to the club :biggrin:

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Welcome to the club .,.. dignity!! whats that! ;)

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Glad to hear you are ok. I had mine yesterday going up a very steep hill. Half way up I just knew I couldn't do anymore and unclipped my left foot as I pulled the break. Unfortunately the balance of unclipping the left made me lean to the right and down I went on to the muddy road. Not hurt and nobody around to see me flat on my back as I ride in the country. Oh well I won't do that again.
I feel like it was the initiation test that something that had to be done to get it out of the way !!
But why did you pull the brakes? :ohmy: The hill itself should be enough to stop you.:hello:

Herbie

Veteran
Yes today was the day I ended up on the floor, the 1st time falling of the bike.

50 yards infront of me the traffic lights were on red, so a slow roll to the lights I thought, (I've been through these lights many times before) and knowing how the sequence of lights work I knew they was going to change very soon (spotting the opposite lights were changing to amber)

But my timing was about a second out, my brain was calling to my foot, "clip out now" but my foot had other ideas, and then everything seemed to go in slow motion,
The bike stopped, and I went down like a tree being felled. flat on the floor and then my foot decided to unclip its self, a bit bl**dy late now I thought.

Well good job I'm thick skinned, I was ok, the pedal and the bar tape have got a little scuff on them, so not to bad. and no one around apart from a couple of cars at the lights who just drove off.

Congratulations...:smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I (now ;)) always unclip my left foot in a situation like that, when slowing down, junction, lights, crossing, heavy traffic etc.. I twist my foot just enough to become unclipped, but do not move my foot from the pedal. The shoe remains at a slight angle, unclipped but still allowing you to pedal. Then if circumstances allow, a small movement of the foot and you are clipped in again. Becomes automatic, second nature, after a time.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I (now ;)) always unclip my left foot in a situation like that, when slowing down, junction, lights, crossing, heavy traffic etc.. I twist my foot just enough to become unclipped, but do not move my foot from the pedal. The shoe remains at a slight angle, unclipped but still allowing you to pedal. Then if circumstances allow, a small movement of the foot and you are clipped in again. Becomes automatic, second nature, after a time.

Exactly the same here...

Top Bottom