It is on my drive at last.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Small word of advice. These little engines in cars have tiny oil sumps. Usually around 3litres.

To keep the valve train, and everything else in tip-top condition, requires clean oil.

My daughter had a little car, the sump was 3.3litres. VW recommended 12,000 mile oil and filter change. I thought that was far too much long a period to run an engine with such a tiny sump.

I changed the oil every 5000 miles or every six months. The car ran sweet as a nut even towards 100,000 miles use.

:okay:

All engines should, and do, do that. I'm not convinced the two are connected tbh.

CXRAndy

Guru
There are many examples of issues with vehicles. These little engines are prone to failure around 60k miles if poorly maintained

Just neglect or do manufacturers 12-20k oil services and see how long the engine will run perfectly

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
There are many examples of issues with vehicles. These little engines are prone to failure around 60k miles if poorly maintained

Just neglect or do manufacturers 12-20k oil services and see how long the engine will run perfectly

Which ones please? I am interested to see which models are suffering this 60K demise.

keithmac

Guru
Ahh, the good old EcoBoom!.

The PSA (Citroën) 1.6 tdci is prone to failure if oil changes are not frequent, the strainer in the turbo feed banjo bolt clogs up and starves turbo of oil and then bang..

I've personally seen 2 with same failure (one Ford Focus 1.6 and one Citroën Picasso).

Frequent oil changes would have saved both of those engines.

Gillstay

Über Member
Ahh, the good old EcoBoom!.

The PSA (Citroën) 1.6 tdci is prone to failure if oil changes are not frequent, the strainer in the turbo feed banjo bolt clogs up and starves turbo of oil and then bang..

I've personally seen 2 with same failure (one Ford Focus 1.6 and one Citroën Picasso).

That could also be down to poorly done oil changes as they had a set routine you had to follow to when doing it. i stuck to manufacturers guide lines and managed over 220k. Guy who bought it off me was impressed with it as well.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless

:eek: Noted. Admittedly, we only do about 6000 miles a year anyway. Before anyone asks, we didn't set out to buy a diesel, necessarily. We needed an estate for about £6k, and a 308 sw tdi happened to be it!

Top Bottom