"It must have been your fault. C'mon. You are a biker."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wow. Appalling on all fronts. Nice to know that he 'won' in the end though.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
What an amazing amount of crap to have to go through. Never mind specific accident training for the police there, what about just training them not to assume things based on their own prejudice, especially when the outcome and consequences are so serious.
For all that I think the attitude of the police towards cyclists in this country could be improved this shows that they could be worse. When I had a very similar accident the police were cold and overly officious but at least they did not appear to make assumptions one way or another as to who was to blame and were nothing more or less than professional.

OP
OP
PocketFrog

PocketFrog

Northern Monkey
This is making me want to buy a helmet cam - not for general posting and shaming but for evidence should I be caught out like this.

VamP

Banned
It is a scary story and the driver error was blatant, but you can't help but think that the rider had a fair bit of time to take avoiding action. Must have been daydreaming.

tyred

Legendary Member
It is a scary story and the driver error was blatant, but you can't help but think that the rider had a fair bit of time to take avoiding action. Must have been daydreaming.

That's my thought's too. I don't care who is right or wrong, if I can avoid hitting something I will do and I really think I could have avoided that car.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'm not so sure. On the video he comes through the junction at a fair old lick, and clearly wasn't expecting the driver to turn in front of him - but equally, making no allowance for any of the crap that could and does happen at junctions by slowing down.

Sara_H

Guru
Fairly similar to when my son was almost run over on the pavement (by a transit van being revesed along the path). I was accused by the police officerI complained to of being an hysterical woman, he then went on to advise the driver to honk his horn in future when reversing his transit van along the pavement.

VamP

Banned
I'm not so sure. On the video he comes through the junction at a fair old lick, and clearly wasn't expecting the driver to turn in front of him - but equally, making no allowance for any of the crap that could and does happen at junctions by slowing down.

I am 83.56% sure I would have avoided that collision.

OP
OP
PocketFrog

PocketFrog

Northern Monkey
The light was green. As I left the intersection, an SUV driver made a left turn across traffic, directly into my path. All I could do was hit the brakes hard.

Looks like he did brake - at the speed he was doing I wouldn't have fancied steering under braking!

Top Bottom