It was hard going on the bike today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Wow, i don't think I've ever cycled in such high winds as i did today. All was well when i set off, but on the return part of my ride the wind really picked up leaving me struggling in the granny gear. I managed to do 67 miles today but its really taken it out of me. At one point i started considering whether i should give up as the bike was starting to feel really unstable on the open road, but i stuck with it and just took it very steady. The first chance i got, i turned off the main road and headed down some lanes hoping the high hedges would give my some protection from the gales. That was a mistake in it self. The lane turned into a mass of potholes and was seriously flooded every few hundred of metres...
Also some jokers had moved all the road signs around on the poles which it turn got me hopelessly lost. Luckily after asking a friendly local for some directions i soon got back on track and in familiar surroundings.
As bad as it was though, I'm sitting here with a beer, feeling absolutely knackered ,but I'm looking back on it as great adventure, and strangely feeling that i enjoyed it. I don't think I would attempt to ride 70 odd miles again though if the winds were that bad again.
Anyway i Hope your all well and that you're cycling (if any) was more successful than mine today :=)))

13 rider

Guru
There the rides you remember . Strong gusty winds are for me the worst possible conditions you can face . I did just an hour this morning due to the conditions . Respect to you on your mileage :notworthy:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done to you on the miles in such a storm like today's!
I only did the work commute, was very lucky: I set off very early this morning during the calm before the storm, it unleashed just after starting my shift.
By the time I left work it was all finished, hardly got wet.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There is an ongoing ultra distance race going on at the moment. Hamburg to the top of Denmark and back to Hamburg.

Saturday was awful in Denmark. Gales, sleet, torrential rain, freezing cold. Sunday was brighter but cold with high winds.

Im glad I am not riding with them. I went out for 50km yesterday on the Brompton and it was nice to get home into the warm.

Nice, there are people who ride in the wind and people who don't ride in the wind. Congrats!

We joined an organized ride, 100 miles out in the desert. We were in about 20 miles when another couple on their tandem started bragging about their high end tandem. You should get one like ours blah blah blah! They seemed to be making a race out of it. I'm smarter than that knowing the winds were expected. About 50 miles in the wind was about 50 MPH gust. We pulled through and finished the ride while they dropped out at mile 60 from exhaustion.

My wife will ride in the wind as well so on the tandem, there ain't no stopping us due to wind.

59EC5317-1FEE-4245-91EC-46302AEF3CC4.jpeg

I did this on Saturday. It was seriously windy. Getting home in one piece felt like an achievement in itself:laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been lifted into the air by a gust of wind coming up a gully I was climbing in Scotland, was dumped back on the rock then spent the next two minutes blinking grit out of my eyes.

Top Bottom