It wasn't me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tinykin

Regular
The sidewalks are too narrow for some. On my commute route behind the Holiday Inn, A4174 Bristol.

28092011294typicalbrist.jpg

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I don't see anything wrong with that, apart from the bushes encroaching on the path, probably at the point where the cyclist would meet that pedestrian.

OP
OP
Tinykin

Tinykin

Regular
Nothing wrong except that it's an accident spot because of impatient motorists overtaking cyclists on a blind rise/bend. The bushes don't encroach. The road falls away at that point. But you are correct. Nothing illegal there. Just not smart.

Kelvin_C-J

Thanks for bringing this up - I apologise for my intrusion, but am wondering if this is not a good idea?

Where I cycle (seafronts) there is/are often cycle lanes, or shared pedestrian/cycle lanes but often see many 'hardcore' roadies in the narrow and fast moving (traffic wise) road. As you mention - there is nothing illegal to this - is it just a bad idea? to hold traffic up at narrow lanes just so you do not have to cycle over the bumps etc in the actual cycle lane?

I suppose what I am asking is: is such a cycling style the 'normal' or just for those who prefer the road?

Myself - I try to use any and all cycle lanes - but do see (mostly) roadies churning up the road instead. I guess I am just curious as to whether most others use the road despite the availability of cycle lanes?

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I'd much rather be able to get on with my ride on the road with all it's problems than having to negotiate drop curbs, side roads, dogs, pedestrians, buggies, toddlers, bus shelters and random ends to cycle lanes. I am not a roadie, just a frequent inner city cyclist. I would only choose a cycle path if it is more direct than the road I am on. This is my own preference.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've cycled on that road, although it looks to have changed since the last time I was there. I might use the path as I'm very slow up hill but otherwise I wouldn't bother along the other parts of the path along side that road. Most traffic if it wants to go fast should really be on the ring road instead, the most dangerous part along that road is the traffic coming out of the Holiday Inn, somehow the entrance/exits seem rather blind (or else the drivers are:whistle:).

Imho - nice cycling position; ie, what I would have chosen. Hey - I've never cycled in/near Bristol, and I don't know where this pic is.

However, were I cycling that road?

Given the national "standards" of cycle infrastructure, no way on earth (in the coupla seconds available to me) am I going to trust that "cycles only" lane, so incompetently designed and maintained.

I haven't a ****ing clue what sort of dog's breakfast awaits over the summit, but the cr@p I can see in the photo is PROBABLY a fair indication.

Yup - in the few seconds available to me to make a decision, road it is.

"Just not smart", you said. You seriously think I'm supposed to read up on accident statistics, local newspapers, and all the rest, in that couple of seconds of choice available to me?

Seriously?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It is this road: LINKY , at the crest of the hill a large number of cyclists will be turning right onto a path to take them to traffic lights on the ring road, and the rest probably going towards UWE. This road runs parallel to the ring road around Bristol which does have a cycle path but then you have to cross the M32 slip roads, this road goes under the motorway and enables you to rejoin the ring road path (better option when you have children with you, than doing the slip roads).

Norm

Nothing wrong except that it's an accident spot because of impatient motorists overtaking cyclists on a blind rise/bend. The bushes don't encroach. The road falls away at that point. But you are correct. Nothing illegal there. Just not smart.

Where I cycle (seafronts) there is/are often cycle lanes, or shared pedestrian/cycle lanes but often see many 'hardcore' roadies in the narrow and fast moving (traffic wise) road. As you mention - there is nothing illegal to this - is it just a bad idea? to hold traffic up at narrow lanes just so you do not have to cycle over the bumps etc in the actual cycle lane?
So, the issues are that some motorists are impatient, some motorists overtake where they shouldn't, some motorists drive too fast and some motorists don't like to be held up.

As the problems are all because of some motorists behaving illegally or irresponsibly, wouldn't it be better to sort out the motorists rather than the cyclists who are doing nothing wrong?

gbb

Legendary Member
Relating to the photo, any mention of the cycle lanes suitability, condition or anything else is pure opinion, nothing else ...IF you don't have local knowledge.
Despite the signage, there's no obligation to use one, i choose each path as i find it. Sometimes i'll use the road, sometimes i'll use the path if its a better, safer option , usually based on local knowledge.
The lane in the photo MAY be a safer, better option than the road beside it. I'll let the locals decide.

Kelvin_C-J

Thanks for the information regarding the road / cycle lanes.

I think I will try different options next time then!

I suppose I have always been of the naive opinion that cycle lanes were meant exclusively for any and all cyclists (and everyone else thought the same!), but having seen, as you all rightly mention - the condition, litter, pedestrians etc it may indeed seem the road is the better option without even considering the exits / entrances etc as wheres_my_beard mentions.

Although I must admit I do feel uncomfortable holding drivers up - especially where they have no choice but to wait such as navigating through pedestrian crossings etc, but I suppose most other cyclists feel the same way at some point? It is just part of road cycling?

Having re-read through my initial post, I do feel bad for saying "just so you do not have to cycle...." but in that example I was specifically referring to my example above - of the traffic light / single lane issue of pedestrian crossings - where the driver has no choice but to wait behind (and with the cycle lane exactly to the left of the road). - But, of course, no-one else would have realised that and so I apologise for my rudeness. Even then, it is only for a few seconds, but I suppose to some people those few seconds matter. A lot.

defy-one

I always say thanks to drivers that have waited for me to go through a pinch point or other narrow junction. Not only does it enhance our standing with that driver,but the vehicle behind him aswell.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wouldn't have a problem holding up a driver on this road (not actually trying to do so) - a large number of them would be using it as a rat run to avoid the main road (dual carriageway) and traffic queues. This route and the path along side the ring road are both well used by cyclists (so many that Mr Summerdays has given up cycling to work until winter so that there are less of them around :laugh:), so that any driver should expect to see cyclists along here.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
So, the issues are that some motorists are impatient, some motorists overtake where they shouldn't, some motorists drive too fast and some motorists don't like to be held up.

As the problems are all because of some motorists behaving illegally or irresponsibly, wouldn't it be better to sort out the motorists rather than the cyclists who are doing nothing wrong?
+1. As the Pompey area people know, there is a segregated cycle lane on Southsea seafront. I use it going east-west. West-east: the road. Why? Simple. Prevailing winds etc mean I can sustain 20-25 mph over a mile. Despite what some uneducated drivers seem to think, I am perfectly entitled to use the roads even when there is a dedicated cycle lane. And doing that speed in a narrow lane with others riding the opposite direction, pedestrians frequently stepping straight into it, the risk of being doored....no thanks. And at the end of the lane, I'd have to cross over the road anyway because the whole thing was badly conceived.

Top Bottom