Items need for over night touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have a look at the bikamper tent by Topeak I love mine! Then a roll mat a Moonbag & a handy pub does it for me.

You put the tent up after you've cycled from the pub I take it? I was much taken with that design for a while until someone pointed out a certain flaw in its cleverness.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You put the tent up after you've cycled from the pub I take it? I was much taken with that design for a while until someone pointed out a certain flaw in its cleverness.
No you put up the tent at dusk then walk to the pub (usually nearby) If the bike/tent is nicked (highly unlikely as they tend to draw a crowd of interested fellow campers) then you claim on your insurance under sporting goods used on holiday. Simples.

No you put up the tent at dusk then walk to the pub (usually nearby) If the bike/tent is nicked (highly unlikely as they tend to draw a crowd of interested fellow campers) then you claim on your insurance under sporting goods used on holiday. Simples.
I'm actually working on an improved design of that tent that uses a single central pole as support formed from your detachable left leg. Then if the pub is too far away to walk you can cycle there.

(sorry - couldn't help it - though generally a great fan of Topeak stuff, not this one I'm afraid)

all the best

Sara_H

Guru
I'm actually working on an improved design of that tent that uses a single central pole as support formed from your detachable left leg. Then if the pub is too far away to walk you can cycle there.

(sorry - couldn't help it - though generally a great fan of Topeak stuff, not this one I'm afraid)

all the best
It is a strange concept indeed.

IMG_2216.jpg

For what it is worth my gear list can be found here. I just prune or grow as I need depending on the trip. This was initially developed for my Chasing the Dirt Tour which was an outback ride.

Andrew

alans

black belt lounge lizard
The minimum

tooth brush & tooth paste
a change of underwear
a bit of £ & a credit card
de-odorant
a comb
ETA: pack of tissues

beyond that it will vary according to your personal preferences,your destination,your agenda & your comfort requirements.

So are you a saddle bag only rider or a four panniers,rack bag & bar bag cyclist?

Last edited:

22camels

Even if camping, I reckon you could get quite far with just a credit card and a sawn-off toothbrush. Use naturally found sea salt for toothpaste. The brush doubles up as a chain cleaner. Bivvy unnecessary in warmer climes.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

I think I've seen the other owner of a Bikamper tent. He seemed rather too big for it at 5' 8" and average build and he was a bit damp from condensation the next morning.

OP
OP
B

bikehog164

Thanks everyone,
Alans, i plan on using my ruck sack i have as a starter maybe later investing in saddle bags. So for my list so far, I have :
  • tent
  • credit card
  • toothbrush
  • spare clothes
  • food
  • de-odrant
  • comb
  • and a pack of tissues
anything else?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
On a short weekend in France, I wore cycling gear to go in (which got me a few funny looks on the train down to Dover) and carried the following:
Lightweight trousers (restaurant wear that evening)
Lightweight shirt (ditto)
Sachet of shower gel
Folding toothbrush
Showerproof jacket
Phone, passport and wallet.
Multi-tool, tube, pump and lock.

All fitted in a Barley saddlebag, which looks a tad inappropriate on a carbon road bike, but meh...
carre des vallees 2013 003.jpg

lip03

Über Member
planning a weekend cycle/camp in july ride is about 30 miles to camp site and so far the kit list is as follows
bike
small tent
self inflating mat
sleeping bag
waterproof just in case
cook kit (penny stove and a hexxy block stove)
change of clothes
cutlery and survival tin (doubles as a cooking pot)
first aid kit
bike tools and glueless patches
fishing rod
and finally money phone spare battery ect ect

and obviously a bottle of red wine for emergencies!

hope this helps, ive not really bought anything I didn't already have to be honest camping gear I have because me and the missus enjoy camping, I commute daily so bike tools and kit I obviously already have cooking stuff is a little hobby of mine (preparing for a global disaster! < I'm not really :smile:) just need some basic food to pack in the bag to cook and I am a keen fisherman so have a small telescopic rod and reel with a basic tackle box that takes up very little room. I am going solo and this is the 1st time ive done anything like this cant wait!

OP
OP
B

bikehog164

Lip03 sounds great and a good list of things might just adapt it ever so slightly but thanks again everyone for all the help it has been instramental in my planning.

lip03

Über Member
Lip03 sounds great and a good list of things might just adapt it ever so slightly but thanks again everyone for all the help it has been instramental in my planning.
yeah it will be different for everyone but this is what I think will keep me comfortable and entertained happy camping!!

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Almost every time I travel in Africa I bump into people cycling from London to Cape Town (or vice versa). Their needs include cooking food and purifying water, plus huge water carrying ability, a medical kit, maps, paperwork and so on. They obviously have to carry some food, as well as being able to repair any mechanical catastrophe on the bike at least well enough to get to the next town (which could be 5 days ride away).

So, what I am getting at is that we need a little more information before you can get any sort of sensible answer.

Mike

Added

Gun
Distress flare
Mace

for your list

Oh and 'bullets

Top Bottom