It's a giant bike, but it's not a Giant.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HeyWayne

Fnar fnar - see what I did there!

Thought it was about time to show my wheels.

Can't really get a sense of scale, I appreciate that - but it's the biggest I could find.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Nice.

Trek hybrids are good quality. Got an SU200 myself. What is yours?

rh100

Nice bike

I've got a Trek 7100FX as my main bike, had it about 6 months or so and it serves me well.

2727882902_d9622d8f2a.jpg

That is a big bike!

e-rider

crappy member
HeyWayne said:
Not at 6ft 7 it's not. :wacko:

my comment was based purely on the height of the saddle relative to the frame size and top tube length.

If you have the saddle at the correct height on the photo I'd still say the bike was too big.

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

tundragumski said:
my comment was based purely on the height of the saddle relative to the frame size and top tube length.

If you have the saddle at the correct height on the photo I'd still say the bike was too big.

Nope, don't follow you. Sorry.

How can it be too big for me? It's comfortable, I can reach the pedals (and the floor).

You've lost me I'm afraid - but then I'm new to all this.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Wayne,

On good fitting flat bar bikes, the saddle is usually 5cms or so higher than the handlebars. This allows you to get the right arm reach to the handlebars and the right leg reach to the pedals.

Arm reach - Arms should be nearly straight, with an ever so slight bend in the elbow to act as a shock absorber. This stops various shoulder/upper body muscles from cramping.

Leg reach - at the bottom of the pedal stroke, your leg should be nearly straight. There should be a small bend at the inner knee level.

Taking the above into account, with most modern bike designs, this means that your feet will not touch the floor easily (tip toes perhaps).

Tundra is saying that if the picture is the actual setting that your ride at, then either:

Your saddle is too low, your handlebars too high, your bike too big or your body has unusual dimensions (i.e. leg vs arm lengths).

If you're 6 ' 7" and your ride like that, then your legs must be very short and your upper body very long.

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

36" inside leg. I can put my feet down (on the balls of my feet, not flat). I can stand, flat footed and straddle the bar comfortably. I can ride with my arms slightly bent.

Legs are closer to straight than bent at full stroke.

The handlebars are 'riser' bars if that makes a difference?

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

So the seat should be 5cms higher? Higher than the highest point, or higher than the 'centre bit' - sorry, don't know the technical term, the bit with the allen key fitting on the top.

I'll have a measure (the seat to bar ratio!) tonight - 5cm's is only a couple of inches.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Riser handlebars make a small difference, but on closer inspection, it looks like your stem is the cause of the higher handlebars.

It's steep, which gives it the height. Nothing wrong with that, it gives you a more sit up position rather than being hunched over at an angle.

It appears you have the fit spot on. Enjoy.

Top Bottom