It's Christmas...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
... must be.

2 Christmas adverts in the same ad break last night...

Passed several shop windows in town with Christmas trees, sleighs etc in them, including one with a v large gold reindeer head...

So my question is...

when do the January sales start?

:rolleyes:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
M&S in Newcastle have had Xmas stuff on sale since 2nd week of September! :rolleyes::biggrin:!:rolleyes:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
If there's one law that really would improve life in the UK it would be that no Christmas advertising may take place before, say, the last but one Monday in November.

I really hate Christmas, even more than I do Brussels Sprouts.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
I am not a retailer/economist/financial analyst, so this is just what I think before anyone shoots me down in flames!

I don't understand why shops start Christmas so early.

Assume people have x amount of presents and y amount of Christmas 'sundries' to buy. Logically, they are going to spend the same total sum on buying them, whether they purchase them over 10 weeks or 6. So is income for the shops concerned really increased by having the goods available to buy for longer? In fact, if they take 'normal' goods off display to make room for Christmas 'specials', don't they lose out on sales of those normal goods as well?

Unless, that is, people -
a) buy more than x presents and y sundries simply because they are tempted to by the goods being on display longer.

:rolleyes: are persuaded to spread out their Christmas shopping over a longer period and buy other goods as well as Christmas presents every time they go Christmas shopping.

Or is it just that the shops have to keep up with one another and are scared of missing their share of the Christmas income?

col

Legendary Member
I think they might be trying to get in first ,to gain sales,but i agree,its started far too early,spoils it i think?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Andy in Sig said:
If there's one law that really would improve life in the UK it would be that no Christmas advertising may take place before, say, the last but one Monday in November.

I really hate Christmas, even more than I do Brussels Sprouts.

Isn't that a tad too early still? 2 weeks is plenty of time.

Slowgrind

I heard on the radio the other day that there is trouble looming with the economy. People are cutting back on spending on the high street. So retailers start flogging Xmas stuff as early as possible to get better sales over a longer period. Barstools.

Top Bottom