It's 'ere!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
Picked up the new steed today and took a few pics which haven't come out great due to me being pants at photy taking and them being indoors.

Side view - no flash and exposure correction

Side view - flash on

New flashy light and soon to be removed saddle

Nuvver new toy that I couldn't resist whilst in the shop!

That bit your feet go on (out of focus!)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Oh very, very nice indeed, top colour!

T x

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Thanks for the comments. Bars will be next mod mefinks. These ones are mahoosive at 690mm across, which I think is a tad excessive!

Now on the look out for some cheap(ish. I don't really do cheap) but light flat bars in a more sensible width.

Brock

Nice kitchen! Get that wine open then, we'll toast your shiny new steed!

wine-smiley-001.gif

Joe

Über Member
Looks good!
Got me some flat Kona bars the other day for £5!
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22634
Not sure about weight but can't complain for that price.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Fitted me new Wiggy saddle and rode it to work today. Umming muchly over whether I ordered the right size frame at the mo' (do we have a forehead slapping 'DOH!' smiley?). Apparently, Marin used to measure centre to centre, but now do centre to top, so my old 17" bike is a fair bit bigger than this one. Praying that a longer stem might help, but it's not tooooo bad! <he says trying to convince 'imself>

Bars have to go soon, too, as I hate 'em! Miles too wide at virtually 700mm.

ratty2k

Just judging by the pics, its not far off being the right size, could you not try a layback seat post if the stem doesn't work out?

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
The catalogue stated that the top tubes of the 17 and 19 were the same length, so I assumed that the 19 would be merely taller and not longer. The seatpost on this bike has markings on it and there is 3cm of usable length left, so it's just a matter of fine tuning the seat to bar distance hopefully.

I have a 120mm stem coming in the post along with some 580mm flat bars (35 quid for Ritchey bits in the CRC sale) and I also plan to remove the granny ring, as I really can't see it getting used. I'll probably upgrade to a road crank at some point to up the gearing a little, as I cant find a 50t 4 bolt chainring. There won't be much of my new bike left at the rate I'm going! ;)

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Lost a few more grammes today. Took the bike back to the shop as the shifting was terrible and I couldn't dial out the clattery chain on the cable adjuster. On closer inspection it appeared that the gear hanger was bent, so back it went. After fiddling with it for a while the LBS owner said I'd have to leave the bike there, but when some other customers came in I took the chance to have a fettle myself while he was busy. The replaceable hanger simply didn't fit in the frame properly and needed a good 10 minutes with a file to get it to do so. I felt happier doing it myself and the luxury of a pro workstand was very nice. :smile:

Not good quality control Marin! ;)

I also cut down my old bars today, as the new ones are yet to be despatched by CRC. Cut 50mm off each end and the offcuts weighed nearly 50g. That's one heavy handlebar! :biggrin:

ratty2k

2" off each end? WOW! Thats one narrow bar, I know on mine (29er) that I wanted a flat bar but a proper full width one. Bought a Salsa moto one with 17deg of sweep back- very comfy:biggrin:

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
It's 580mm now, so just a normal width, I reckon?

2v8h7h0.jpg

Only have a front shot of the before

2ngsgup.jpg

Just hope the stem comes today (or I'll be in trouble again for buying more bits!)

Top Bottom