Its getting a bit nippy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For the penguins to hide behind?
For the Argie ‘scrap merchants’ to hide the penguins behind?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Did you enjoy your cycle? ;)
I went out with my stepson last Sunday. He hasn't ridden for 5 weeks but I just couldn't keep up with him. My legs were dead and I struggled all the 15 miles we did. He reckons I was over dressed and overheating. Quite possible but how do you decide what to wear? If it is cold, it is cold.

vickster

Legendary Member
I went out with my stepson last Sunday. He hasn't ridden for 5 weeks but I just couldn't keep up with him. My legs were dead and I struggled all the 15 miles we did. He reckons I was over dressed and overheating. Quite possible but how do you decide what to wear? If it is cold, it is cold.
Layers and panniers ;)

I have already cycled a -3 commute :tongue:
Without ice tyres to boot, because I've been too lazy to sort the ice bike :eek:
Dread to think what your italian relatives think about such an activity.

Am not too bothered about cold weather cycling, with modern fabric tech it can be almost sensual once you generate a bit of heat. But aren't you worried about ice?

Am always wary of anything around zero degrees. And ice can persist well into the day on sheltered bits of road. I well remember being on a ride where someone slid off even with spiked tyres.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have already cycled a -3 commute :tongue:
Without ice tyres to boot, because I've been too lazy to sort the ice bike :eek:
-15(still air temperature) in 2003/04, was the lowest I've commuted in. At six in the morning, with five hours at work outside.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My record is -12 a few years ago. It flays the skin from your cheeks and you'd better have a short commute because even rubber gloves under cycling gloves only keep the cold out for 20 minutes.

And never park the bike in low gear at the back - a bit of water in the cabling and you're stuck in that gear when it freezes. I had some rather spinny paper rounds as a kid until this dawned on me.

Top Bottom