Its happened again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
She who`s name shall not be mentioned has struck again :blush:, last night another change of inner tube. I`ve now decided to buy new tyres as the Specialized Mondo`s as fitted to my langster just aint doing it. Whats the general consensus on the best winter commuter tyre, looking at 700x23, doubt anything bigger will fit unless someone can tell me other wise. I would fit the Shwalbe Marathon tyres if I knew they would fit, apparently they do a size 700x25 which may do and they are pretty bomb proof i believe.

gary r

Guru
specialized armadillo's have worked well for me,40 mile commute 3 times a week & only 2 punctures.

ChrisW

Just bought the Scwalbe Marathon Plus last week after the p fairy went mad with me!!!

They do come in 700x25 and i put them on my steel framed commuting bike. I then even took them for a 45 mile run over the w/e into the Surrey Hills with all the other guys on carbon/alu etc. Thye were a tiny bit slower but felt very secure.

So after about 10 days, a big thumbs up. May be different after 10 months though :blush:

Tetedelacourse

Nae luck Grumplestiltskin.

Mondos are the worst tyre for u-kno-who visits in the world (monde), IMO. Specialized standard issue I think - my Allez came with them. They are fast though to be fair.

From Jan to October I ran Conti GP4000, no probs til I think they reached threshold and got a few in a week, in both tyres. Including a disgusting episode where my new deep rims stopped my minipump from getting to the valve and I had to get a bus... long story. Anyway, that to me was a sign to change tyres again.

The last month I've run Conti Ultragatorskins (or something like that). So far so good.

PLUS there does seem to be an INORDINATE amount of shite on the roads right now. Combination of weather and time of year. Hopefully it'll dry out a bit towards xmas.

domtyler

Über Member
It's not about the tyre. Steer cleer of the gutters Mr Grumps and the puncture fairy will steer clear of you.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Tetedelacourse said:
Nae luck Grumplestiltskin.

Mondos are the worst tyre for u-kno-who visits in the world (monde), IMO. Specialized standard issue I think - my Allez came with them. They are fast though to be fair.

From Jan to October I ran Conti GP4000, no probs til I think they reached threshold and got a few in a week, in both tyres. Including a disgusting episode where my new deep rims stopped my minipump from getting to the valve and I had to get a bus... long story. Anyway, that to me was a sign to change tyres again.

The last month I've run Conti Ultragatorskins (or something like that). So far so good.

PLUS there does seem to be an INORDINATE amount of shite on the roads right now. Combination of weather and time of year. Hopefully it'll dry out a bit towards xmas.

There is a lot of shite on the road especially after picking out the glass etc from my tyres last night at work. PITA oh and another thing Halfords inner tubes are shite as well, two of them burst at the valve join whilst pumping them up :blush: I know why it happened ( they are not threaded thus no lock nut to keep them in place ) So trying to chuck 100+psi into them is difficult without too much force.

doyler78

I use spesh armadillos. Never changed to anything else as I have never had a puncture in the 3 1/2 years of cycling. Have changed them once and that was this year because I could see that they were wearing badly so made a pre-emptive strike.

Some hate them as they see them as heavy and poor in cornering. Can't say as I have noticed but saying as I haven't tried anything else that would maybe the reason - lol. Anyway I don't mind a little extra weight for a bit more piece of mind.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not being funny, but there hasn't been much rain to clear the roads - full of carp as you say....

Just check out the reservoirs out on the Woodhead Pass in 'wet' Manchester - completely empty....... argghhhhh !

I have to say that I am firmly in the "loath them" camp.

They roll slowly, and my word, cornering is just down to pure luck and in the wet nothing short of being blessed by multiple religious deities will keep those tyres tracking well.

I binned mine after 200km, it was just pure hell.

I've also ditched Conti GP Force/Attacks almost immidiately, I stuck with GP 4000-S for about 600km, but Micheling P2Rs are the only tyre I used until it wore out, and I'm on my second set now, soon to change them to the 25c version.

Provided a tyre has some decree of protection, I think it is more down to riding position than anything else.

All the above said, it must be noted that I am incredibly fussy when it comes to equiping my bike, and on the tyres front, performance comes waaaaaay above the odd 10mins changing a tube here and there.

doyler78

Well in their defence I can say that the last two night it has lashed continually on my commute home which is about 50 mins and my times are exactly as I would expect in the dry and daylight. Perhaps having used them for so long I have managed to adapt my riding to get the best out of them in any conditions. Don't know any other explanation.

longers

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Just check out the reservoirs out on the Woodhead Pass in 'wet' Manchester - completely empty....... argghhhhh !

You do know that United Utilities have drained Torside reservoir to repair it? :blush:

Tynan

Veteran
had one on the rear on Monday, fixed it and checked the tyre and it seemed good, I then realised they were Continental 2000s then I remember very well buying at least seven years ago in Wimbledon when I worked there

Nicked the new schwalbe marathon one off the wrecked bike and the clearly posher inner tube at the same time, the wheel was seriously circus stylee warped from the accident, bong will be surprised to know that that didn't seem to have affected the tyre, bike seem to be rolling better now too, god knows what that old tyre's condition was, it'd spent seven odd years at the end of the garden, along withthe rest of the bike mind ...

I've always figured that rain after a dry spell washes loads of crap into the road, especially into the gutters and tyre marks bikes run along

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
MrGrumpy said:
Halfords inner tubes are shite as well, two of them burst at the valve join whilst pumping them up :blush: I know why it happened ( they are not threaded thus no lock nut to keep them in place ) So trying to chuck 100+psi into them is difficult without too much force.

CO2 pump whilst out and a track pump at home. No probs

Top Bottom