It's harder than i thought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How do you know that she's not rejoicing? :okay:
Shes learned how to use Skype.
Good tip for the OP too in order to see the offspring a bit more regularly, though I only get fast enough internet connection when in hotel just before getting on the boat, and son is quite often to busy, out partying to be available for a call.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What kind of student phones his mum when he cuts himself1? In my day I would have ignored it and drank through the pain.

I am secretly hoping that all students stay like this, as when my children go to University I want a 24/7 guard for them.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
What kind of student phones his mum when he cuts himself1? In my day I would have ignored it and drank through the pain.

I am secretly hoping that all students stay like this, as when my children go to University I want a 24/7 guard for them.

I had to ring the parents of one of my undergraduate housemates when he was sectioned and placed in Scalebor Park mental hospital.

Now that was a crisis that warranted parental attendance.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I had to ring the parents of one of my undergraduate housemates when he was sectioned and placed in Scalebor Park mental hospital.

Now that was a crisis that warranted parental attendance.

Students were a bit tougher back in the day.

I blame shows like X Factor for the general mawkishness that has taken root in our culture over the last decade or so. :ohmy:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was a student in the pre-mobile, pre-Internet days and I did not have a landline in my flat so I used to walk to a call box once a week and phone home. The main phone there was on a table next to my dad's chair so it would always be him that answered the calls. My mum knew the number of the call box and would call me back from the extension phone in the other room.

What didn't strike me as odd at the time, but certainly does now is that my dad merely used to say "Oh, hi Col - hang up and your mother will ring you back" - he never once had even a short chat with me himself! He was probably trying to save me money, but I could have got 3 minutes or so with him out of my 10p.

I know that my dad loved me and that he was told every detail of every conversation, but a couple of sentences between us directly once a week wouldn't have hurt!

I think it is quite sweet that some of you get so upset when your kids leave home. I remember feeling totally baffled when I left for university. A mate was taking me and my stuff up in a hire van and I waved goodbye to my folks as we drove off. My mum was weeping on the doorstep and my dad fled back into the house. I turned to my mate and said "Did you see that! What on earth is up with them?"

I reflected on the meaning of that departure scene once I was settled into my flat, and that was when I decided to start the weekly calls home ... :okay:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
There's definitely a big generation gap in how we did it and how they do it now. When my mates left for Uni in the late 80's it didn't really matter how far you went you pretty muched stayed in minimal contact for the whole term, maybe one trip back at most and the odd phone call. When I left to live in London I basically loaded up the car with my belongings and left, but then I've always felt my relationship with my parents was quite cold.

As parents, I don't think we went more than 3 weeks without seeing the offspring either back at home, or down at Uni and it was probably pretty equal which half instigated things. We also got the 4am dash to hospital call in their second year!

Ganymede

Veteran
I was a student in the pre-mobile, pre-Internet days and I did not have a landline in my flat so I used to walk to a call box once a week and phone home. The main phone there was on a table next to my dad's chair so it would always be him that answered the calls. My mum knew the number of the call box and would call me back from the extension phone in the other room.

What didn't strike me as odd at the time, but certainly does now is that my dad merely used to say "Oh, hi Col - hang up and your mother will ring you back" - he never once had even a short chat with me himself! He was probably trying to save me money, but I could have got 3 minutes or so with him out of my 10p.

I know that my dad loved me and that he was told every detail of every conversation, but a couple of sentences between us directly once a week wouldn't have hurt!

I think it is quite sweet that some of you get so upset when your kids leave home. I remember feeling totally baffled when I left for university. A mate was taking me and my stuff up in a hire van and I waved goodbye to my folks as we drove off. My mum was weeping on the doorstep and my dad fled back into the house. I turned to my mate and said "Did you see that! What on earth is up with them?"

I reflected on the meaning of that departure scene once I was settled into my flat, and that was when I decided to start the weekly calls home ... :okay:
Ah, old-time Dads. Mine was the same.

Also, although I wasn't far away (1.5 hours by train), in MY day I bought a return ticket at the start of term, one of those cardboard ones. The first half got torn off and I kept the other half in my purse for the whole term, when I used it to go home. Thinking back, I probably should have gone home more often, I hated university! But it wasn't expected and we couldn't afford it. Can't believe how often the kidz today come home!

Also, my 2 sisters and I all left for uni in the same week, so I think that was a bit of a shock to the parentals. Though mum says a relief in many ways, she must have been run ragged caring for 3 teenage girls, and at least she knew we could all cook and look after ourselves.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's over,what a carry on.I am back to normal.I cannot believe,how soppy i have been.It has been a weird three days.I am now smiling at myself for being a dippy.

Good news!

He's a man now, he still has some growing up to do and you'll still be needed from time to time but nannying him along is not the way. A cut thumb doesn't require mum or you at his age and he's going to have to deal with a lot worse than that in the years to come - both whilst you are still here and when you have shuffled off.

Hope he does well at Uni' :smile:

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Thanks all,wise words from all of you,SpokeyDokey so true.Don't laugh but i gave myself a good talking to.
He is not a pet that you keep on a lead or in his room,because you love him.You do love him so let him go,he will make mistakes,but he will also grow.And being molly coddled,will not teach him to face problems and confrontations.
So this thread closes,but thank you all for putting up with my emotions.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Must admit that I'm not looking forward to the day in a couple of years when GtiJ leaves. I'm going to lose a valued cycling buddy, apart from anything else.

I must have been tough for my parents when they kicked me out to boarding school aged eight. My Mum says they cried, but I bet not as much as I did at the ultimate betrayal.

Top Bottom