It's harder than it looks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...arf arf

But seriously...today i am in the middle of a two day training course on how to be a tv presenter. The OU, who I work for (for whom I work, whatever), have decided that they need to punt more of their academic staff into the media by fronting TV shows. Well I'll try anything once. Quite exciting you might think...

And, bloody hell, it's really hard. Normal sentences become impossible to say with a camera in your face, walking along, using props and so on. It's really hard to be just normal and yourself, which is what you're supposed to do. The pros make it look easy.

Anyone else been surprised at how hard something actually is once they've had a go? As a starter for 10, i'll also throw 'canoeing' into the ring here as that is also bloody hard.

The exciting part though was that we got to meet Mike Bullivant who presents Rough Science (the older grey haired presenter, who also did Coast).

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
canoeing is easy.
Ive been doing it for 4 years, and its getting easier.
But then kayaking, now that used to annoy me at how different it was.

Melvil

I totally agree with the canoeing (I assume you mean kayaking?) - looks dead easy, is dead hard.

It's wierd when there's something recording you - I just freeze up whenever I'm trying to record a bit of music, for example, and I have to stop the recorder and start again a couple of times...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cool. I auditioned to be one of the new faces of TV archaeology a while back, but I think my top wasn't low cut enough or something...

I like that OU chap who does the geology programmes - he's so enthusiastic...

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Arch said:
Cool. I auditioned to be one of the new faces of TV archaeology a while back, but I think my top wasn't low cut enough or something...

Never mind Arch, looks like you've started up a whole new cottage industry knitting woolie animals.

Today, Cycle Chat, tomorrow the WORLD ! YA HA HA HA HA HAAAaaa !

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Ice skating is more difficult than it looks...for me, at any rate! Sliding...how difficult can that be...er...very! :biggrin:

starseven said:
Open University ....

Do you get a beard and tweed jacket at the end of that course?:biggrin::biggrin:

Well you see it's attitudes like that that the OU is trying to challenge :biggrin:. If I am a girly presenter apparently I have to be a rugged outdoor type, bounding around in a pastel coloured fleece and walking boots, with my waterproof, rucksack and geology hammer. I also have to be about 5'8" and stick thin to avoid looking like a giant blob on the telly, so, basically, it aint going to happen...

...and some of those beardy weirdies still exist about the place - they're all elbow patches and combovers

domtyler

Über Member
Heart and brain surgery is really hard, it looks dead easy on Casualty and Holby but when I tried it out on my parents it went horribly wrong for some reason right from the off. Even when I tried to bring them back round with my homemade defibrillator that didn't work either!! Poor mum and dad, I really miss them now!

gbb

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
Heart and brain surgery is really hard, it looks dead easy on Casualty and Holby but when I tried it out on my parents it went horribly wrong for some reason right from the off. Even when I tried to bring them back round with my homemade defibrillator that didn't work either!! Poor mum and dad, I really miss them now!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I cant stop sniggering now ......but it is sick :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Abitrary

domtyler said:
Heart and brain surgery is really hard, it looks dead easy on Casualty and Holby but when I tried it out on my parents

Does anyone remember that episode of Holby city, where the alcoholic scots surgeon keeled over during an operation....

So they had to get a bed where the nurses went to work on him, while he from the adjacent bed told the other surgeons what to do?

KitsuneAndy

Kirstie said:
Well you see it's attitudes like that that the OU is trying to challenge :biggrin:. If I am a girly presenter apparently I have to be a rugged outdoor type, bounding around in a pastel coloured fleece and walking boots, with my waterproof, rucksack and geology hammer. I also have to be about 5'8" and stick thin to avoid looking like a giant blob on the telly, so, basically, it aint going to happen...

I'm starting a course at OU next week :biggrin:

But as for things that are harder than they look - surfing, too many people make it look too easy, I swear they're aliens, it's impossible to even get up onto your feet nevermind stay standing!

Top Bottom