It's huge!

• Thread starter Deleted member 23692
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've got much the same set up - haven't got the rad cage though and it shifts fine without. I have recently removed the 32t front for a 30t though - as we are doing Snowdon up and down next month.
As long as the b screw can be adjusted far enough. Apparently the Rad cage stays sweet for shifting for longer, so maybe save up for when it gets clunky? How about a ghost granny fif you don't have a chain device?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 23692

That's exactly the setup I have in the Mojo.
From what I've read the chain ring wears out the quickest on a 1x, so cheap Superstar goodness seems a cost effective solution. I'll probably try their 42t cog when they finally release it. But I've absolutely no complaints dealing with OneUp thus far - An American company who can get gear to your door in 2 days with no import duty is to be applauded.

I've just fitted the new hub bearings, so have been finally able to sort out the gear shift. Never has setting up a brand new drive train been so easy. I just need to sort out a scuffing rotor and then I'm good to go :smile:
As long as the b screw can be adjusted far enough. Apparently the Rad cage stays sweet for shifting for longer, so maybe save up for when it gets clunky? How about a ghost granny fif you don't have a chain device?
The RAD Cage is a clever bit of kit - it offsets the top pulley sightly to the rear of the cage pivot point. When the cage rotates forward (as you up in cog size) the top pulley effectively moves downwards to give the necessary clearance for the 42t cog. i'm surprised I had to move the mech upwards with the B tension screw when first fitted with 'out of the box' settings.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 23692

I think some folk are getting confused. It's not about having a super silly low gear: it's about having a good spread of usable ratios and simplifying the drive train. The 32/42 ratio is almost identical to a 24/32 on a triple (0.76 vs 0.75 respectively).

Here's the complete setup... 11-42 cassette on the back and a 32 chain ring up front.

_GRF2252_zpsynofvpjn.jpg

There's no big ring as the top few gears are rarely used off road, There's no granny ring - the big sprocket gives pretty much the same low ratio and all without having two juggle two gear shifters: one of which would be getting caked in crap flicked up by the back tyre anyway.

Now I can quickly go from top gear to bottom with three pushes of the lever, and the clutch rear mech and narrow/wide tooth profile on the chain ring does a super job of keeping the chain located without the need for chain devices.

I've had a quick go round the block tonight and all seems ot be working OK. come the weekend I'll get out for a proper ride :smile:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 23692

@Ffoeg did it come with a 16t sprocket?

did you get it from the UK or USA?
Their 40t and 42t sprockets come with a free 16t sprocket now, although I had picked one up on eBay a few weeks earlier - I was hoping that Superstar would have had their 42t on sale before now, but it looks like they won't be doing so for a while yet.

As for ordering - if you buy from the OneUp International site, even though you pay in US dollars the parts are sent from a warehouse in Sussex. You get the bits delivered in a couple of days and there is no hidden import duty or taxes to pay. It's a really neat setup :thumbsup:

djb1971

Legendary Member
You get the bits delivered in a couple of days and there is no hidden import duty or taxes to pay. It's a really neat setup :thumbsup:

that's good.

i need a cassette too, the slx cassette needs to be bodged to get the 17t off, its fixed on. I wish superstar would do the full kit with the 16t too.

I now have my next job in the pipeline, the 40t will do me fine if its got the 16t in the kit :okay:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 23692

Mine's an SLX cassette and it need to be modified not bodged ;)

I don't see taking the rivets out to be a problem as the freehub on my wheel is steel. I might think differently if it were ali alloy though

djb1971

Legendary Member
its on a hope cheese alloy freehub. its not worth the trouble, it'll need a new cassette anyway. Ive got all of my other kit lined up ready to go, just not had time to convert it yet. 30t front and 36 rear is not bad, it'll just be nice to have a bailout gear when I've sat on the thing going up mountains all day!

I think I need to have a serious talk with my better half, we tour on a lowest gear 39 x 25 and even then I had to persuade her to lose the 11/23 cassette. I can't even envisage riding a gear that small, the gear chart I refer to only goes as small as 42/25. I have a tiny gear on my mb, I think around the 30 inch mark, many years ago I went into the lowest gear on a very steep track on a Greek island, the front wheel left the ground and I found myself in a slow motion back somersault.

Ootini

I've never tried, but I'm pretty sure riding Crib Goch would be very, very difficult as you need to do some rock climbing to get to it. Carrying the bike?

Top Bottom