It's huge!

• Thread starter Deleted member 23692
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djb1971

Legendary Member
@Ffoeg

just fitted a 40t superstar.

dremelled the slx cassette rivets out and dumped the 17t. Ive only been up and down my road but it works perfectly, not bothering with a 16t. The expander itself is excellent quality for £30, it comes with a longer b screw, I didnt need to use it with the slx mech.

the bike will climb anything now, its as easy as having a 22t f-36t r. This will be perfect when its loaded for bikepacking. The 30t f / 36t r is great but its a pig when I'm lugging all of my bags.

Happy days^_^

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 23692

Good news indeedy :thumbsup:

I was thinking of re-riveting the remnants of the SLX cassette back together, but seeing as my 105 cassette has plenty of sprockets without built in spacers I don't think it'll self destruct. I'd keep an eye on your hope valley cheese hub though. Do you have a clutch rear mech or chain device fitted?

I've only had one mainly road ride of 14 miles but it's a route I do regularly with a couple of good uphills on it, and if this one ride is anything to go by the new setup in no slower than the old. Granted it's a tad slower on the downhills, but it seems to climb much quicker. I'm off work next week so plan to give it a good workout.

djb1971

Legendary Member
the slx is a clutch mech, no chain device just a raceface n/w. I actually rode most of the last trip with the clutch off with no issues:shy:

Not too bothered about the hub. It'll need replacing soon anyway, then I can whack an xt cassette on. The loose sprockets arent going to make any extra wear.

I manage easily with a 30t f / 36t r in the mountains in Scotland without a load, its going to be nice having the extra bailout gear after a long day lugging kit. One of the tracks in wales I ride is over 40% on one section. A loaded fatbike is a heavy thing to drag up it when you're knackered :okay:

Top Bottom