It's new mower time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Mrs stephec is insisting on a new lawn mower whilst I'd rather just get a new blade for our existing one, apparently it doesn't cut close enough though.

The brief is - she wants the lawn to look like it's had a No. 2 haircut, I don't want to spend any money.

What do I go for please?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The brief is - she wants the lawn to look like it's had a No. 2 haircut, I don't want to spend any money.

What do I go for please?

download.jpeg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
how big is your lawn, and what shape? If it's small and even, I'd recommend a hand push reel mower. I've used one for 3 years now as I was fed up with the electrical cord getting in the way. It cuts very well as long as you don't let it get too long. Rotary mowers are essentially like strimmers, they smack off the tops of the grass and leave split ends which then look horrible. A reel mower is a giant pair of scissors and IMHO makes for a far better cut. Of course you can also get petrol or electric reel mowers if you've got a big garden, but mine is only 8m x 8m

T4tomo

Legendary Member
oversow with some clover lawn mix, apparently more drought tolerant and enviro friendly.

Who mows the lawn? if its you stick with what mower you've got. Life it too short to be striping your lawn up.

tom73

Guru
oversow with some clover lawn mix, apparently more drought tolerant and enviro friendly.

Who mows the lawn? if its you stick with what mower you've got. Life it too short to be striping your lawn up.

Bee's love it and as it's a legume it naturally fixers nitrogen so feeds the lawn for free.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
how big is your lawn, and what shape? If it's small and even, I'd recommend a hand push reel mower. I've used one for 3 years now as I was fed up with the electrical cord getting in the way. It cuts very well as long as you don't let it get too long. Rotary mowers are essentially like strimmers, they smack off the tops of the grass and leave split ends which then look horrible. A reel mower is a giant pair of scissors and IMHO makes for a far better cut. Of course you can also get petrol or electric reel mowers if you've got a big garden, but mine is only 8m x 8m

I've got front and back which are both about 4 x 4m, I'm tempted by a manual cylinder now.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member

Me mainly, and I'm in full agreement with you.

If we go manual it's me all the time, even though I've told her what a good workout she'd get. 💪

Slick

Guru
I bought a Mountfield a few years back when I finally had a flat lawn to mow, but since moved house and I'm back to having a bank to deal with but I can't find a decent petrol flymo and I hate the cheap plastic electric versions. Guess I'll need to finish this season at least with the Mountfield.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If you cut on the lowest setting you need a lawn as flat as a snooker table, otherwise you just end up scalping the proud sections and leaving the lower sections long.

tom73

Guru
I've got front and back which are both about 4 x 4m, I'm tempted by a manual cylinder now.

I've used all types of movers over the years for work.
If it's only that big then you won't go wrong with a your idea. A cylinder mower will always give a way better cut than anything else.
A manual one is nice compact size to move around in a small space. They are quite fun too and once you get going it won't take too long to do.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You shouldn't cut it that short. Everyone round here who does that had brown lawns when we had a few dry weeks. I never use the lowest cut on my mower and mine stayed green.

Mind it's not all grass in my lawn - there's clover, daisies, dandelions and an awful lot of self-seeded scabious.

I agree, mine has developed quite a lot of what looks like mini clover etc, which i didn't seed, just from not mowing too short, which gives a good greenness. I'm sure you can get cream for your scabious - just ask at the pharmacy....

Top Bottom