It's no wonder they call me Reluctant!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I didn't read her subsequent reply.

But that makes all the difference -not much you can do about that but just say the drivers behind her were suffering from self respect issues amongst other things!

So RC, please accept my apologies, my post is not relevant for your situation.

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I'm back! It's terrible how work interferes with forums all the time!

User is right - the section I was on has got a 30mph limit. I have tried lots of different routes into Birmingham and out again and unfortuantely I have not found a route that does not include the Hagley Road at some point - the route I used this morning is the one with the shortest amount of Hagley Road on it I am afraid.

It is true that I could get off my bike and cross at the pedestrian crossing and then walk down the road on foot for a while and get to the right turn road that way but I just feel like I shouldn't have to.

It is probably also true that I could have been more assertive and could have signalled earlier too but I don't like to sit in the outside lane doing a measly 15/18 mph with a queue of traffic behind me it makes me feel bad!

There is no way however that I could have just kept on signalling this morning and hoped that the woman would not run me over - she would definately not have stopped - you know when you just know that someone is a very aggressive driver and doesn't stop to think beyond their own ends?

Thanks for all your support though - I'm going to plod on and try to still use the same route and perhaps start to signal out earlier in future!

Also love the riding crop idea Arch - I may get one myself - who needs a horse!!! Might come in handy at home too! :ohmy:

Tynan

Veteran
I've always tried to avoid right hand turns on main roads, junctions and roundabouts: no problems, but I don't the chance of having to slow and even stop and then cross more than one lane of traffic from a standing start

There's usually an alternative route if you try, not saying there is in your situation

And if I read the OP right, you were signalling to move into the offending car's lane? Strictly speaking you shouldn't do that if it makes the other road users have to change direction or speed, granted she wasn't showing consideration etc etc

not the same thing as her overtaking or ramming surely?

Keith Oates

Janner
In Vietnam the bike and small motorbikes move to the right side of the road ( RH driving here) and wait for traffic to overtake then cross when there's none coming. You shouldn't have to do that according to the highway code but better safe than sorry if the situation demands. BTW trc, what you did was correct IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
the reluctant cyclist said:
Also love the riding crop idea Arch - I may get one myself - who needs a horse!!! Might come in handy at home too! :biggrin:

It's amazing how impressed in a "oooh, kinky!" way non-horse folk are when you demonstrate a really good hard 'swish' with it... Once you've had to use one on a horse, you realise how ineffective it can be...:biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
When you get your horse whip, you will have to change your name to Madame Reluctant and swap the lycra shorts for thigh length leather boots :-)

You may just get the extra space you need then!

buggi

Bird Saviour
i don't agree with the last few posts about finding an alternative route or pulling over and crossing when the coast is clear. it is our right to be on the road and it is the law that they don't drive dangerously around us. if you start taking alternative routes, it will just make drivers feel more like they own the road. they don't own it and i for one am not going to be a fanny around them. i have every right to be there as much as they do and i won't be bullied off the road.

just my opinion anyway.

Cab

buggi said:
i don't agree with the last few posts about finding an alternative route or pulling over and crossing when the coast is clear. it is our right to be on the road and it is the law that they don't drive dangerously around us. if you start taking alternative routes, it will just make drivers feel more like they own the road. they don't own it and i for one am not going to be a fanny around them. i have every right to be there as much as they do and i won't be bullied off the road.

just my opinion anyway.

Have you seen the A14 as it skirts the North of Cambridge?

Top Bottom