It's not funny. No, really, stop laughing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hehe, rising bollards are cool... watching the cars try and chase taxi's down Silver street and Trinity Street in Cambridge through sunken bollards was a funny way to while away the time when I was younger
rolleyes.gif

(disclaimer: they were trying to beat the system and the traffic, not trying to get in that 30% from the horizontal position by accident)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Old vid..move on move on - probably from the numpties in Manchester............... happened loads when they were installed...... these bollard go up quick, and don't wait for cars......flippin hilarious.................

But I think they must have put their foot down a bit as they moved forward -
I've seen a case where a car did a hell of a lot of damage - to a solid brick wall, from a standing start a few feet away. This was in our workplace car park. Official version of the story: driver put it into reverse instead of forward, or vice versa. Unofficial version: driver had just had row with GF, backed the car off a few yards, then deliberately slammed it into building. Never found out which. I wonder if your 'bollard' story has a parallel...?

Lizban

They are a stupid idea these bollards.

Why?

Cost, risk, the need to call an ambulance, fire truck, road sweeper to do the glass - guess who pays for all this (even if they claim the money back of teh idiot motorist it will never 100% cover the costs.

Solution?

Camera and fine the buggers - cheaper, effective and safer

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
They are a stupid idea these bollards.

Why?

Cost, risk, the need to call an ambulance, fire truck, road sweeper to do the glass - guess who pays for all this (even if they claim the money back of teh idiot motorist it will never 100% cover the costs.

Solution?

Camera and fine the buggers - cheaper, effective and safer

York just doesn't do cameras or enforcement. At another section just up the road where drivers are not supposed to go through for quite a few hours of the day it's notorious for people ignoring it. They do a beat up about once a year for 1hr and the police run out of tickets and then go home... Bollards are just drawing a line in the sand, motorists might get away with other ones but not this one.

It's the same with enforcement in other places. Less than half of the bus gates/bus lanes are camera enforced here. It is just hope that people won't break the restrictions.

Lizban

York just doesn't do cameras or enforcement. At another section just up the road where drivers are not supposed to go through for quite a few hours of the day it's notorious for people ignoring it. They do a beat up about once a year for 1hr and the police run out of tickets and then go home... Bollards are just drawing a line in the sand, motorists might get away with other ones but not this one.

It's the same with enforcement in other places. Less than half of the bus gates/bus lanes are camera enforced here. It is just hope that people won't break the restrictions.

It's OTT, expensive (for teh tax payer don't car about the driver) and there is a cheaper and simpler solution.

I guess people find these things funny hence there is programmes like;

you've been framed watching Americas dumbest animals and criminals doing the funniest things - that are so funny they need canned laughter.

marinyork

It's OTT, expensive (for teh tax payer don't car about the driver) and there is a cheaper and simpler solution.

I guess people find these things funny hence there is programmes like;

you've been framed watching Americas dumbest animals and criminals doing the funniest things - that are so funny they need canned laughter.

I've already explained the theory. Bollards are picking your fights. Enforcement just isn't there. The point about expensive is that you have one bollard in a key position and no enforcement anywhere else so it's not as expensive as it seems. It doesn't necessarily mean I agree with it. If it were up to me I'd probably narrow Stonebow anyway and put up more signs making it much more clear that cars shouldn't be there. The bollard like I said is a line in the sand, York is one of the slackest cities there is in enforcing cars not being in places they should be - the 'pedestrianised' areas were long a total joke.

As I've already pointed out with respect to York's famous bollard, there's a tiny flaw in the theory in that it only stops some of the cross traffic, there being a famous other road where people ignore it. Even if they were to put in another bollard that wouldn't be 100% successful as there are other way of getting around it. That's just life. There are plenty of bus gates here where there isn't any camera enforcement.

Cameras and fining isn't necessarily cheaper, to be effective that system has got to be monitored/ policed bollards are a bit of a fit and forget option. OK you'll get the odd costly idiot but on the whole bollards won't cost much regularly.

Cameras and fining isn't necessarily cheaper, to be effective that system has got to be monitored/ policed bollards are a bit of a fit and forget option. OK you'll get the odd costly idiot but on the whole bollards won't cost much regularly.

ISTR a comment somewhere that Manchester, at least, sends you the bill if you damage their bollard...

It's bound to happen from time to time. Some drivers just don't believe the law applies to them. A fine from a camera after the fact doesn't stop them from doing the stupid thing in the dfoirst place, whereas a bollard in the sump will stop them driving anywhere for a while, and, with a bit of luck, makes them more circumspect in future.

marinyork

[QUOTE 1137885"]
There isn't. As I've already said, cameras don't stop drivers entering areas, they just penalise them for doing so.
[/quote]

If there is even a camera there...

If someone looks at a map of York, one can clearly see why they put the bollard where they did, it makes quite a bit of sense, whether one agrees with the decision or not it's very clear where the council were coming from with it.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
We'd like a rising bollard or two at St Nicks - we need access for lorries to the recycling compound, but the way through is authorised vehicles only - IE, the waste lorries and us, and peds and cyclists - so we have removeable concrete bollards (they lift out, if you're strong enough). Our little vehicle can get through the gap, but a car can't. Trouble is that they can be lifted out, and the lorry drivers don't always put them back, so some people do drive through anyway. Lockable bollards that lie flat would be good, but funds are limited, so nothing is getting done.

Cameras would do bugger all, most of the chavs are probably on dodgy plates.

Actually, we'd like a stinger system - that would get the bloody mopeds too!

Top Bottom