Its official cycling is NOT a sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

.........I asked one of the spotty 17yr old assistants in JD sports today if they stocked cycle clothing, to which he responded "no mate we only do sports stuff"

Im dumbfounded ......all this time spent on the bike, watching the Tour, reading cycling books, and its not even a bloody sport!!!

They will be telling me Darts and Dominos are not sport next.

:biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
I think they do sell a lot of darts and cues too:smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i thought the definition of sport was that it involved direct competition (as opposed to taking it in turns á la snooker, darts etc). so i suppose that road racing stuff is ok, but time trialling stuff isn't.

so no, darts isn't a sport, it's a game.

bonj2

I think a definition of a sport has to:

(a) be such that the participants interact directly with each other and how well you do affects how well your opponents do - i.e. such that it involves making it difficult for your opponent as well as just doing well yourself - e.g. a good tennis shot is hard to hit back, whereas with cycling how fast you do a stage/race doesn't influence how fast other people go at all - it could just be measured on time trials

and

(:thumbsup: it has to involve more than simply cerebral activity, so therefore chess isn't a sport.

I suppose that makes cricket a sport. ;) damn :biggrin:

Renard

got-to-get-fit said:
.........I asked one of the spotty 17yr old assistants in JD sports today if they stocked cycle clothing, to which he responded "no mate we only do sports stuff"

and I suppose all the shellsuits and white trainers they sell will be used for sporting activities :biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
Quickest. Highest. Furthest. Deepest. Most objective rules-based goals/points. Not judged subjectively on style etc.

So Darts is a sport, Dancing on Ice (or Olympic figure skating for that matter) isn't.

And by that definition Alexstilletc, I'm afraid testing is in.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

BJB said:
and I suppose all the shellsuits and white trainers they sell will be used for sporting activities :biggrin:

Yeah i think once you put those shell suits and white trainers and baseball caps on you can compete in the following:-

Happy Slapping relay

Cider drinking time trials

Distance spitting

All of these sports are usually held at the bus shelter olympic stadium or the corner shop international arena.

Keith Oates

Janner
There are some that say shooting and fishing are true sports all the others are mere games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Well how could cycling be a sport? If you go too fast, the terrier in your wicker basket gets all upset, not to mention the risk of rumpling one's tweeds.

Innit.

redjedi

Über Member
When I went to sports world in Brent Cross recently, I found some fishing rods and tackle hidden in one of the corners.

Now that's a true sport !!

Graham O

According to the latest Cycle magazine, cycle racing and track are defined as a sport by the government and can attract funds, while all other cycling is a leisure interest. Presumably a 200km AUDAX does the same for you as a night on the beer and fags as far as Gordon Brown is concerned.

Top Bottom