1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its official cycling is NOT a sport

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by got-to-get-fit, 5 Feb 2008.

1. got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit New Member

.........I asked one of the spotty 17yr old assistants in JD sports today if they stocked cycle clothing, to which he responded "no mate we only do sports stuff"

Im dumbfounded ......all this time spent on the bike, watching the Tour, reading cycling books, and its not even a bloody sport!!!

They will be telling me Darts and Dominos are not sport next.

:biggrin:

2. col

col Veteran

I think they do sell a lot of darts and cues too:smile:

3. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

i thought the definition of sport was that it involved direct competition (as opposed to taking it in turns á la snooker, darts etc). so i suppose that road racing stuff is ok, but time trialling stuff isn't.

so no, darts isn't a sport, it's a game.

4. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

I think a definition of a sport has to:

(a) be such that the participants interact directly with each other and how well you do affects how well your opponents do - i.e. such that it involves making it difficult for your opponent as well as just doing well yourself - e.g. a good tennis shot is hard to hit back, whereas with cycling how fast you do a stage/race doesn't influence how fast other people go at all - it could just be measured on time trials

and

(:thumbsup: it has to involve more than simply cerebral activity, so therefore chess isn't a sport.

I suppose that makes cricket a sport. ;) damn :biggrin:

5. Renard

Renard Guest

and I suppose all the shellsuits and white trainers they sell will be used for sporting activities :biggrin:

6. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Quickest. Highest. Furthest. Deepest. Most objective rules-based goals/points. Not judged subjectively on style etc.

So Darts is a sport, Dancing on Ice (or Olympic figure skating for that matter) isn't.

And by that definition Alexstilletc, I'm afraid testing is in.

7. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

Sorry, it's late

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sport

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

An active pastime; recreation

8. OP
    OP
    got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit New Member

Yeah i think once you put those shell suits and white trainers and baseball caps on you can compete in the following:-

Happy Slapping relay

Cider drinking time trials

Distance spitting

All of these sports are usually held at the bus shelter olympic stadium or the corner shop international arena.

9. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

There are some that say shooting and fishing are true sports all the others are mere games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Well how could cycling be a sport? If you go too fast, the terrier in your wicker basket gets all upset, not to mention the risk of rumpling one's tweeds.

Innit.

11. redjedi

redjedi Über Member

When I went to sports world in Brent Cross recently, I found some fishing rods and tackle hidden in one of the corners.

Now that's a true sport !!

12. mr_hippo

mr_hippo Living Legend & Old Fart

BUT from the "Worst Spectator Sport?" thread

Poker is a sport?

13. Chris James

Chris James Über Member

Did you ask him to show you where they stocked their cricket bats and tennis racquets?

14. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

That's why we have the Olympic Games.

15. Graham O

Graham O New Member

According to the latest Cycle magazine, cycle racing and track are defined as a sport by the government and can attract funds, while all other cycling is a leisure interest. Presumably a 200km AUDAX does the same for you as a night on the beer and fags as far as Gordon Brown is concerned.