It's Official - Fixed is cool !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
BBC's TODAY programme this am (around 0825, just before the sports news) had an item about riding fixed, with no brakes, in the US (either Washington or NYC, I missed the very beginning).

In it, riding fixed was officially described as :rolleyes:.

There wasn't any mention of the large numbers of people riding fixed bikes in the UK, however. :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It was on Bristol's local radio too - though they managed to make it sound as if it was brand new from the US. I noticed they didn't mention that people in the UK were doing it too.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
summerdays said:
It was on Bristol's local radio too - though they managed to make it sound as if it was brand new from the US. I noticed they didn't mention that people in the UK were doing it too.
They certainly made it sound like it was a new innovation, as usual starting in the States and might come over here ....:rolleyes:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
There was a thread on the cafe section with a link to a website of pictures of young ladies on bikes (not the lycra one). Most of them seemed to be very fashionable, young ladies cycling fixed wheel bikes with BMX handlebars, no brakes, coloured rims and those bigs wheel hubs. Definitely a fashion and patronisingly, I was a bit concerned about their safety. Isn't it sometimes difficult stopping in an emergency when you've only a fixed wheel? I think I'd compromise myself on kewl and add a front brake.

The reporter was saying how riding fixed made your legs super strong. Yeah, right, most those girls didn't look like they had super strong legs, though I wouldn't mind finding that out ;-)

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Landslide said:
Officially sanctioned by the BBC? I think the shark may have been well and truly jumped. I look forward to chirpy chirpy cheap cheap bits appearing on ebay! :biggrin:

The reporter did say that. It's been a long time coming in my view. Cycling a purple-rimmed, BMX handle-barred fixie will be a bit like wearing last year's stripey leggings I expect.

D4VOW

I must admit that my fixed draws a lot of attention. I've had many people come up to me asking what it is, the reason's for riding it and how much it cost. Also get quite a few oldies come over for a chat because they used to ride them in the past and are pleasantly surprised to see someone on a 'real' bike.

Big John

Guru
I heard it on the radio too. One of the guys making a comment was a bike shop owner extolling the virtues of fixed wheel and how he rode his at 40mph. Now....other than national standard track riders can anyone on here ride any bike, let alone a fixie,at 40mph? If so please let me know the secret. Oh, and he also said they ride with no brakes. Maybe I'm getting old but that's pure lunacy on the roads.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
D4VOW said:
I must admit that my fixed draws a lot of attention. I've had many people come up to me asking what it is, the reason's for riding it and how much it cost. Also get quite a few oldies come over for a chat because they used to ride them in the past and are pleasantly surprised to see someone on a 'real' bike.

I get that alot, and at TTs my fixed draws attention:becool:
Dont see many fixed TT bikes, and mine stands out from the rest.

I cant wait till i can get more cheaper fixed stuff. I dont know if the trend will end soon though, or if it would be a good thing if it ended.

Top Bottom