It's POB season again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PashleyPrincess

Don't mean to be incendiary about this or anything but I didn't realise there was bicycle apartheid...:biggrin:

Surely being on two wheels and enjoying it is what matters. Or am I missing something...

Wobbling POBs will probably gain sufficient confidence to get on the road eventually.

RedBike

I don't think I've seen another cyclist (while commuting this year) that is riding on the road , seriously!

They all vanish when the weather turns bad / the nights get dark. I can't moan though because so do I

violetnewt

I am a pob and not ashamed to admit it.

I do get off my bike at the cyclist dismount sign and push it through the underpass.

If the roads are busy I ride on the path, simply because at my level of fitness I'd be a danger to myself and traffic alike. However, I give way to both other cyclists and pedestrians - both are travelling faster :biggrin:. I try to make eye contact and smile, though I'm panting too hard to actually speak.

When I do cycle on the road, I stop at red lights.

Today I cycled into work in light rain. I need better kit to travel in bad weather!

Eventually, I will be fit enough to be a fully fledged road user and have invested in enough kit to not be a fair weather cyclist!

Until then I will continue to wobble and smile politely at more experienced cyclist and be grateful for their nods of compassionate understanding.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Frustruck said:
Well, here they are again with the warmer weather: creaking along on rusty bikes needing oil, wandering all over the place, up and down the pavement. Only chap actually stopped and put both feet down so I could pass him, on a 3m wide path! Last year I got forced off the same path by some idiot who insisted on riding on the right!

I feel like snarling 'where were you in December, chum?' as they wobble past... I wouldn't mind so much if they had any common sense or an idea of how to ride in traffic... be careful out there people!

No need to be grumpy just because they pass you! :biggrin:

Todays POB could well be tomorrows roadie's - just hopefully less grumpy! :biggrin::laugh:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Wigsie said:
No need to be grumpy just because they pass you! :biggrin:

Todays POB could well be tomorrows roadie's - just hopefully less grumpy! :biggrin::laugh:

I thought that came on with being a roadie? Part of the thing you do?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Joe24 said:
I thought that came on with being a roadie? Part of the thing you do?

Ok so I am a dreamer Joe!

I have been wearing full lycra for almost a week now and so far I am still greeting cyclists... waiting for the change though!

Bman

Guru
violetnewt said:
I am a pob and not ashamed to admit it.

I do get off my bike at the cyclist dismount sign and push it through the underpass.

If the roads are busy I ride on the path, simply because at my level of fitness I'd be a danger to myself and traffic alike. However, I give way to both other cyclists and pedestrians - both are travelling faster :biggrin:. I try to make eye contact and smile, though I'm panting too hard to actually speak.

When I do cycle on the road, I stop at red lights.

Today I cycled into work in light rain. I need better kit to travel in bad weather!

Eventually, I will be fit enough to be a fully fledged road user and have invested in enough kit to not be a fair weather cyclist!

Until then I will continue to wobble and smile politely at more experienced cyclist and be grateful for their nods of compassionate understanding.

Fair play! :biggrin:

Although, whatever the cause (there are many) its sad that people are driven off the road and onto the pavement through fear.

Joe24

Wigsie said:
Ok so I am a dreamer Joe!

I have been wearing full lycra for almost a week now and so far I am still greeting cyclists... waiting for the change though!

Yes, all wrong.
Going by when i did an Open TT, you dont acknowledge anyone.

Downward

Guru
Ironically I have not seen any other commuter this week even though the weather is sunny and warm.

Maz

Guru
Frustruck said:
Well, here they are again with the warmer weather: creaking along on rusty bikes needing oil, wandering all over the place, up and down the pavement. Only chap actually stopped and put both feet down so I could pass him, on a 3m wide path! Last year I got forced off the same path by some idiot who insisted on riding on the right!

I feel like snarling 'where were you in December, chum?' as they wobble past... I wouldn't mind so much if they had any common sense or an idea of how to ride in traffic... be careful out there people!
So what if they have rusty-chained bikes and wobble about it? The more cyclists the better. Smile and say hello to them etc. No need for this holier-than-thou attitude. There. I've said it.

D4v0

Maz said:
So what if they have rusty-chained bikes and wobble about it? The more cyclists the better. Smile and say hello to them etc. No need for this holier-than-thou attitude. There. I've said it.

+1 :rolleyes:

No need for this holier-than-thou attitude.

Why not?

Seriously I've lived in London for many years and I think it's got worse.I wouldn't say I was holier than though,just fed up with the general attitudes of Londoners so I don't say anything and I don't expect anything back.

One reason why I prefer commuting in as opposed to catching the tube.The last time I used the tube on a commute must be on the odd day when the chain broke.

Joe24

I do hate the POBs. The wobble about, going slow, ride like complete numpties, which annoys car drivers, get in the way, go up on pavements, which annoys peds.
The worse one, is when you get the families out. They are on the road, and the dad is telling the kids to ride in a straight line(which they do) but the dad is wobbling about the road, not riding in any straight line and should really take his own advice.

Renard

PashleyPrincess said:
Don't mean to be incendiary about this or anything but I didn't realise there was bicycle apartheid...:rolleyes:

Surely being on two wheels and enjoying it is what matters. Or am I missing something...

Wobbling POBs will probably gain sufficient confidence to get on the road eventually.

I agree ;)

Maz

Guru
Joe24 said:
I do hate the POBs. The wobble about, going slow, ride like complete numpties, which annoys car drivers, get in the way, go up on pavements, which annoys peds.
The worse one, is when you get the families out. They are on the road, and the dad is telling the kids to ride in a straight line(which they do) but the dad is wobbling about the road, not riding in any straight line and should really take his own advice.
Are you a member of the BNP (Bicycling Nazi Party)?

Top Bottom