It's POB season again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm in the more the merrier camp, everyone has to start somewhere. Some of the attitudes from the 'serious' cyclists are not a million miles away from those expressed by a certain type of motorist. I'm sure that, for some, zooming, moody and snarly cyclists are just as off putting as the motoring equivalent(I accept not as dangerous). Intolerance, impatience and self importance are all traits we'd like to see the back of in motorists, don't see why they should be ok for cyclists.

thomas

the tank engine
meh, there are starting to be a few PODs and fair weather cyclists on my route now....on and off the road. I'd much rather have more cyclists on my commute as I feel it would become safer so I'm for them.

I also like to overtake them giving loads of room - hopefully the cars behind will twig how they should overtake cyclists and overtake them and me nicely.

The other advantage is, they can hold up the cars which means I don't have people snarling at my back wheel :rolleyes:

c2c

redredrobin
PashleyPrincess said:
Don't mean to be incendiary about this or anything but I didn't realise there was bicycle apartheid...:rolleyes:

Surely being on two wheels and enjoying it is what matters. Or am I missing something...

Wobbling POBs will probably gain sufficient confidence to get on the road eventually.

i concur with you whole heartedly young pp......... bicycle snobs is what they is.........!!

Don't really think I have any problems with POB's myself as I said already PEDs are worse or can be and there is more of them.

domd1979

Veteran
I see plenty of idiotic behaviour from so called "serious cyclists" who ought to know better - Filtering down LH side of traffic with no room to spare, on the pavement, RLJing, crap road positioning, no lights and so on. I wouldn't say the behaviour of less regular cyclists is any worse than that.

Don't think I rode my bike in December - used the bus a lot. So what though?

Frustruck said:
Well, here they are again with the warmer weather: creaking along on rusty bikes needing oil, wandering all over the place, up and down the pavement. Only chap actually stopped and put both feet down so I could pass him, on a 3m wide path! Last year I got forced off the same path by some idiot who insisted on riding on the right!

I feel like snarling 'where were you in December, chum?' as they wobble past... I wouldn't mind so much if they had any common sense or an idea of how to ride in traffic... be careful out there people!

Frustruck said:
I feel like snarling 'where were you in December, chum?' as they wobble past... I wouldn't mind so much if they had any common sense or an idea of how to ride in traffic... be careful out there people!

Never noticed the wobbling.
I notice the fair weather cyclists aren't as friendly, I always acknowledge a fellow cyclists existence with a nod or a smile, always returned in the winter rides....summer riders who must be cycling at least a few miles along the country roads/tracks I see them on in their lovely new clean 'kit' look very confused by a friendly hello and try and blank you.
Maybe I should try the snarling "Where were you in December?" line :-D

MacB

I think you need to take into account peoples regular ride/commute areas to assess their views correctly. I've only ridden in London 4/5 times yet have seen more poor/dangerous cycling in that time than all of the rest of my riding put together. This seems to be a combination of sheer volume and the faster paced, head down, me only, city attitude.

When we were cycling through Andover late the other Saturday I also noticed a few kids out on bikes. I saw 3 pairs where one was cycling and the other sat on the handlebars. This was all late in the evening, in estate areas and the kids were past, my view of, bedtimes, let alone playing outside time.

One of the problems is that, despite the vast majority that I see cycling properly, the dodgy ones are the ones you remember. The same as drivers, I can get home and all memories of the courtesy shown to me are wiped out by the one moron that tried to polish the side of his car with my elbow.

PashleyPrincess

MacBludgeon said:
'serious' cyclists are not a million miles away from those expressed by a certain type of motorist.

What's a serious cyclist? :?: Surely that's an oxymoron - isn't cycling fun? :biggrin:

MacB

PashleyPrincess said:
What's a serious cyclist? :?: Surely that's an oxymoron - isn't cycling fun? :biggrin:

anyone that thinks cycling is serious business I suppose, for the rest of us it's a combination of fun and utility.

D4VOW

Maz said:
So what if they have rusty-chained bikes and wobble about it? The more cyclists the better. Smile and say hello to them etc. No need for this holier-than-thou attitude. There. I've said it.

+1

I don't care how they ride, what they ride, or what they look like. The more the merrier :?: I always smile and say hello to cyclists, joggers and peds as I pass by :biggrin:

Top Bottom