It's the inconsistency that annoys me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rewind

Be careful,I once drove a renault home (not my car) without a windscreen,it was all going OK until i went to turn right,what was the indicator on my car was the windscreen wipers on the renault!!! one large windscreen wiper swung into the car and hit me in the face!! out of control i mounted the pavement and took out a road sign frantically trying to stop the beating i was getting from the wipers!!!!

Thanks Gary, best laugh I've had all week!

Cheers,

Rewind

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
To go back to the OP....I think it's the first intimation that Mrs. RT is concerned about her husband's advancing years.

Youthful eccentricity is charming. It's quite acceptable for devil-may-care youngsters to gad about with pigs on leads, embroidered waistcoats and Landrovers without windscreens. But - what is acceptable, even attractive in young people is not as easily borne in the elderly. An older person in charge of a windscreen-less Landrover is a bit 'Last of the Summer Wine'. One is inclined to check them over for posession of carpet slippers and hairy ears. Mrs. RT realises this, and would like her husband to get himself in shape - buy a nice suit and drive a sensible car like a VW Golf.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Dellzeqq, I humbly beg to differ about eccentricity being only suitable for young people!

If cars are indicators of (usually male) people's ideas about their, ahem, size or prowess, as is often suggested, then a man who cheerfully soldiers on in a hilarious rustbucket with no windscreen and holes torn in the upholstery is doing very well in my book and deserves a medal. This is the opposite of opting for the pipe and comfy slippers isn't it? :biggrin:
TMM - I would dearly love to agree with you, but I fear that the hilarious rustbucket is all of a piece with the slippers and the pipe. And the ex-army overalls. And two pairs of spectacles in battered cases. And power tools that haven't worked for a while.

Mr Toad? I'd find it a bit draughty! I hate it when Mr Campfire insists we have the top off (not mine you understand) when we're going out in our Triumph Stag. If I want to be in the open air I'd prefer to be on my bike I say to him!

Renault Spider. They were also available with a windscreen, for the softies ;)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 17
So far, all over Herefordshire. My (admittedly limited) research into this seem to indicate that there's actually nothing at all illegal about driving a car with no front doors or windscreen. None of the rust is structural, all the tyres are good and mechanically it's spot on. Although if I do get pulled by a copper who likes doing paperwork, I'm sure they could find a reason to book me.

Doubt they'd really manage it due to the age of the car.

other notable cars that had no screen / screen could be removed yet were perfectly legal:

Mini moke
austin healey
caterham / lotus 7
Landrover
etc

[QUOTE 1121125"]

+1 RT in a windowless, doorless, windscreenless 2CV wearing some type of avaitor googles would be priceless.;)
[/quote]

yup, just need the hat and aviator jacket

A word of warning from an engineer friend: apparently the windscreen provides a lot of structural strength, so doing many miles without it will put stresses on the frame that it's not designed to take.

He says it will also have significantly lower rollover protection, but I think you'd have to work very hard indeed to roll a 2CV!

A 2CV has no roll over protection at all, top gear blasted one across a runway using the thrust from an aircraft engine, it went over and the top collapsed much like a landrover would do.

the roof of a 2CV doesn't do much since many of them come with a full canvas top.

[QUOTE 1121145"]
There's a Caterham that doesn't have a windscreen, just a little deflector on top of the bonnet.

A few years ago I saw two blokes in one of these, in the summer, in ski hats an goggles. Their heads destroyed any credibility the car may have had.
[/quote]

that'd be a superlight R500 or similar

Personally, I think you'll be fine / they'll not notice!

gbb

Legendary Member
How many metres can you drive without getting pulled by the police?

IIRC the windscreen on some cars form part of the structural integrity, so may well be illegal to drive without one. I doubt that were the case on a 2CV. We used to drive landrovers and take out the windscreen and side windows in the summer...never got a second look from the police. Wouldnt fancy it in the winter tho...
Also, we used to see lorries driving round...never mind no windscreen...they had no cabs, just a drivers seat and steering wheel :biggrin: . I think they were being delivered for assembly. That was a long time ago tho...

Rewind

To go back to the OP....I think it's the first intimation that Mrs. RT is concerned about her husband's advancing years.

Youthful eccentricity is charming. It's quite acceptable for devil-may-care youngsters to gad about with pigs on leads, embroidered waistcoats and Landrovers without windscreens. But - what is acceptable, even attractive in young people is not as easily borne in the elderly. An older person in charge of a windscreen-less Landrover is a bit 'Last of the Summer Wine'. One is inclined to check them over for posession of carpet slippers and hairy ears. Mrs. RT realises this, and would like her husband to get himself in shape - buy a nice suit and drive a sensible car like a VW Golf.

But the nice thing about it is that those advancing in years who exhibit these eccentric tendencies don't actually give a flying f**k about how others perceive them.....and long may it stay so!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
But the nice thing about it is that those advancing in years who exhibit these eccentric tendencies don't actually give a flying f**k about how others perceive them.....and long may it stay so!
true. And that's either a virtue or a problem, depending on your point of view. My old man, who was not short of a bob or two, drove an Austin Princess with a vinyl roof pretty much up until his dying day. The downside was that it was ugly, and made a lot of noise. The upside was that when he started it up to come home from the allotment, half a mile across South London, my mum would put the kettle on for him.

Sadly, for those who are relishing the image of me trundling around freezing my knackers off in the snow, the windscreenless 2CV was cut up - well, swept up - for scrap when the MOT ran out at the end of August. But it was tremendous fun to drive, even when I got a different job and was commuting 55 miles up and down the M50 every day.

asterix

Comrade Member
I do hope you don't accidentally try to wash the windscreen you don't have.

Anyway, that looks like a tin snail so I wouldn't have thought rushing air was likely to be a huge problem.

When I was young my dad had one. In it we travelled from Cyprus, via ferry to Italy, through to France, then Silver City to Kent somewhere through to Berkshire. Rolling round those Alpine bends was bloody terrifying..

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
i thought 2CV had gone the same way as sinclair C5 - to the tip 20 years ago ,, i am stunned there are some still trundling around with there 3hp engines and suspension of a fair ground ride.
2CV were like nothing else in this world and from what i remember they are a love or hate em car.

Top Bottom