Its Time for a Cycling Campaign of Civil Obedience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
Today cycling down the Mile End Road ( 2 lanes each way) the police had cordoned off one lane for one of their regular vehicle spot checks.

No problems with this.

They then put up a sign saying "Cycle Lane Close Cyclists Dismount".

They did not put up a sign saying "Lane close Motorists Get out and Push".

speaking with the police present they thought it perfectly correct to put up such a sign. This despite the fact cyclists have every right to use the road and such a sign gives motorists the impression cyclists are only able to use cycle lanes.

So, being a law abiding citizen, I dismounted from my bike and walked the length of the cordoned off section pushing my bike in the middle of the remaining carriageway. nothing the police could do or say as I was doing what they told me.

I suggest whenever there are signs telling cyclists using the road to dismount you do exactly that and obey the direction given. Those signs will soon stop being used with the chaos caused by people obeying them.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
So, being a law abiding citizen, I dismounted from my bike and walked the length of the cordoned off section pushing my bike in the middle of the remaining carriageway. nothing the police could do or say as I was doing what they told me.

How is that disobedience?

GC

I have seen a lot of very annoying use of those signs, but none where obeying it would inconvenience anyone but me. I don't think this will be a fruitful approach.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
I have seen a lot of very annoying use of those signs, but none where obeying it would inconvenience anyone but me. I don't think this will be a fruitful approach.
If you obey it by walking down the carriageway, not the footpath, it will inconvenience other road users

Ask why cyclists are ordered off their bikes, other road users are not ordered out of their vehicles. It simply reinforces the view amongst others that cyclists do not have a right to be on the road other than in a cycle lane

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We finally get stronger advice against roadworks using those horrible signs (in the new required-by-law Code of Practice for Safety at Street Works) but the police just carry on regardless :sad:

Top Bottom