ITV 4 versus Eurosport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Hi,
I’m new here so apologies if this 1 has been done to death.
Does anyone have a view on the pros and cons of ITV4 coverage v Eurosport?
I like listening to David Millar.
Carlton Kirby fluctuates from okay to annoying.
I find Sean Kelly a bit ‘repetitive’.
I am however very grateful to have the coverage - I love watching the pro races from the comfort of my sofa!

Slick

Guru
I watched the vuelta on 4 after mistakenly setting the recorder on that stupid 20 minute thing eurosport had, can't remember what it was called. For me, it doesn't really matter who is presenting as I'm there for the bike racing although I do agree they can be irksome at times.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The picture quality of ITV4 on Freeview is poor, and gets worse when there is action on screen.

I find it incredibly frustrating, although it's an issue that effects all ITV channels due to the low bitrate they use.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ned and David are brilliant and no-one will ever beat Gary Imlach... but ITV4's adverts are a bit more frequent, bitrates are lower (even on freesat but not as bad as freeview) and the CGI studio for the Vuelta was horrendous.

Eurosport is good for live coverage and I'm quite happy listening to Karsten Migels and Jean-Claude Leclerque (it's free in German!). Some of the substitutes aren't quite as good. But their scheduling is unreliable, highlights aren't as polished and I can't stand Wiggins (and beefy Bertie is a bit wearing).

So itv4 for highlights for sure.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Ned and David are brilliant and no-one will ever beat Gary Imlach... but ITV4's adverts are a bit more frequent, bitrates are lower (even on freesat but not as bad as freeview) and the CGI studio for the Vuelta was horrendous.

Eurosport is good for live coverage and I'm quite happy listening to Karsten Migels and Jean-Claude Leclerque (it's free in German!). Some of the substitutes aren't quite as good. But their scheduling is unreliable, highlights aren't as polished and I can't stand Wiggins (and beefy Bertie is a bit wearing).

So itv4 for highlights for sure.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

ITV4 do a more polished show overall.
Yes...this business with Eurosport is so frustrating. My Virgin box is set to record and do so successfully for a number of days and then suddenly for 1 recording it either completely misses the cycling or starts recording halfway through etc!!!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Thanks to everyone who has replied.

ITV4 do a more polished show overall.
Yes...this business with Eurosport is so frustrating. My Virgin box is set to record and do so successfully for a number of days and then suddenly for 1 recording it either completely misses the cycling or starts recording halfway through etc!!!

What is listed on the schedule or planner for Eurosport often isn't what is actually being shown on screen - it can be incredibly frustrating at times.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The problem with ITV4 is it looks terrible on any large TV - didn't look good on my phone last weekend. I assume Eurosport feed is better.
It's not the feed. S4C looks fine even in SD, but that's broadcast at about 4Mbps while ITV4 SD Freesat seems to be about 2½Mbps.

ETA: Eurosport Germany SD seems to broadcast about 6Mbps but can surge to 10 for short bursts in action. That's probably allowed because it shares a multiplex with six RTL channels, two news and one shopping, which probably won't all be showing high action at the same time. ITV 4 shares with 11 other ITV channels, including ITV 4+1 which will also be showing high action cycling during most of the live shows, which seems like an unnecessary extra handicap.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
I'm not too sure about speeds/feeds whatever.But both itv4 and Eurosport ony tv are ok.But if I cast Eurosport from my phone to tv it's crystal clear,think they call it HD !

Top Bottom