ITV4 Le Tour highlights coverage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nilling

Über Member
If it was not in a magazine format I doubt it would have general public appeal - I know that's why my Mum and Dad watch it.

Good news about Wed... I can feel a sickie coming on :biggrin:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
It's still not clear though whether the 5 hour marathon (snickers?) next Weds is actually on Freeview though, or just a "Red Button" affair for some with the correct facilities. :biggrin:

stevenb

Shame about the adverts every 5 mins....:biggrin:
ITV and sport dont mix IMO.
Cant wait until the F1 goes back to the Beeb.

Other than that Phil and Co do a great job!;)

I never get chance to watch during the day, so the ITV4 show is perfect for me. Phil L and Paul Sherwen balance each other's commentary well and aren't afraid of contradiction or disagreement. Imlach's research and ability to summarise is really professional. Boardman's occasional input is interesting too. And the guy (I forget his name - sorry!) who does the magazine-like background pieces adds another dimension. It's a well constructed programme with something for the casual viewer and the enthusiast.

Ok - the adverts are a pain, and I have a real thing about the frequency, mind-numbing style and duration of adverts in general nowadays. It wouldn't be as bad if the same ad's weren't repeated so frequently.

On the whole though, I think TdF on ITV4 is the best cycling coverage I get to see in the whole year.

Mortiroloboy

peanuts said:
well its just me then. I just think that ITV4 are trying to do too much in half an hour. Trying to be all things to all viewers.
I just want to watch the riders and the fabulous scenery with a bit of occasional narration .Total immersion

I'm with you, I think Sherwen and Liggett are dire, and why have they anglisized the pronounciation of all the riders and teams?

Noodley

Sh4rkyBloke said:
It's still not clear though whether the 5 hour marathon (snickers?) next Weds is actually on Freeview though, or just a "Red Button" affair for some with the correct facilities. ;)

Its on normal ITV4 rather than red button AFAIK

User259iroloboy said:
I'm with you, I think Sherwen and Liggett are dire, and why have they anglisized the pronounciation of all the riders and teams?

In what way are they dire? As a pair, I think their coverage is pretty good. They keep up with the action and don't miss much.

I don't see the ITV4 coverage as a 'cyclists' programme - it's a sports event coverage programme intended for a wider audience.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
beanzontoast said:
In what way are they dire? As a pair, I think their coverage is pretty good. They keep up with the action and don't miss much.

I don't see the ITV4 coverage as a 'cyclists' programme - it's a sports event coverage programme intended for a wider audience.

I agree, I think the hour long programme has a good mix.

mondobongo

Über Member
They know who the riders are which is more than can be said for Monsieur Harmon and Co plus we don't get the long embarassing silences.

Noodley said:
Originally Posted by Sh4rkyBloke

It's still not clear though whether the 5 hour marathon (snickers?) next Weds is actually on Freeview though, or just a "Red Button" affair for some with the correct facilities. :biggrin:
Its on normal ITV4 rather than red button AFAIK

I looked on ITV's own listings page last night and Weds afternoon is Space 1999, UFO, Police Camera CarCrash, Randall & Hopkirk Deceased, etc
http://www.itv.com/TVGuide/default.html

So looks like red button

But anyway, I'm stuck in a meeting discussing RFID warehouse operations so I don't care anyway xx(xx(xx(;)

Rob S

The ad breaks are now really starting to get on my nerves!!! An hour show probably only contains about 25 minutes of cycling!!

They're bigging up Wednesday's show as if it were proper live. I don't have a red button and we've both taken the afternoon off, so I'll be mightily peeved if we can't watch it.

I can't abide Liggett and the smirking chimp beside him, but the program at least feels like it's put together and presented by cyclists and cycling fans. Besides, Gary Imlach has got a great line in dry one liners. ;)

Top Bottom