I've been asked to 'have a look' ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My neighbour's niece's husband thinks ;) I know a bit about bikes :whistle:, so asked me to have a look at one he bought recently.

Nice badge - and name !
IMG_20170506_132251.jpg

I love the 'Made like a Gun' part below the cannon ... :thumbsup:

Frame number, I think, under seat:
IMG_20170506_135049.jpg

In all it's glory:
IMG_20170506_134807.jpg

... and the drive side:
IMG_20170506_135241.jpg

Interesting that the gear shifter is under the control of the stoker :okay:, whose handlebars are attached to the rear of the driver's seat, so bar height is dependent on driver's leg length. :scratch:

There's a bit of work to be done, so I'll probably be seeking advice but I have a start list:
  • rear tyre, tube, rim tape all shot
  • rear wheel might be true but some of the (mainly drive-side) spokes are very slack - virtually loose
  • oil cap on rear hub missing ... so what could be inside ? :unsure:
  • rear hub bearings make 'interesting' sounds ...
  • rear drum brake works - but will certainly need checked
  • need to find the equivalent of the High and Low stops on the gears, though might just be done by cable tension ...
  • front wheel/tyre seem useable but drum brakes need checking/adjusting
  • not too sure about the mudguard colour either ...

Any comments, suggestions and other advice of an encouraging nature welcomed ! ^_^

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
hold on tight

keithmac

Guru
Never knew they made pushbikes!, the have the same badge on the motorbikes as well.

Had the misfortune to repair an early RE gearbox once, of you've never heard of "groil" before you're lucky!

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
AFAIK, he just wants it working, not a full restoration - which I have told him is well beyond my knowledge, ability or interest ! :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
I think its circa 1938. Royal Enfield Tandem drop bar racer. 3 speed S.A. hub marked AT-8. Mafac brake levers, Drum brakes.

The last possible year being 1967

Drago

Legendary Member
It does loom a lovely thing. If it were mine, which it isn't, I'd have it powder coated ready to give another 60 years service.

Drum brakes too. Looks a decent bike, probably was in its day. I think the mudguards may be original, and look in very good nick.

Are the seatposts free to move in the frame?

Wobbly John

Veteran
If the hubs are original, and it looks as if they are, they probably have a date number stamped on.

The Cyclo gears look mid-late '30's to me. The Williams cranks and chainset, Brampton headset and Middlemore saddles are pretty standard for that age tandem. The mudguards look early '70s to me. I'd have expected a nice set of white Bluemel ones.

Top Bottom