I've been asked to 'have a look' ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Are the seatposts free to move in the frame?
Driver's certainly is, haven't tried the stoker's.
If the hubs are original, and it looks as if they are, they probably have a date number stamped on.

The Cyclo gears look mid-late '30's to me. The Williams cranks and chainset, Brampton headset and Middlemore saddles are pretty standard for that age tandem. The mudguards look early '70s to me. I'd have expected a nice set of white Bluemel ones.
Thanks - I'll have a closer look at the hubs, though didn't see any numbers on them when giving the bike a quick wash. I did notice the missing oil filler cap on the rear one though and heard the noise from the bearings... :sad:

Actually, I'm surprised it's that old - I'd been thinking more late '50's and, yes, the mudguards are horrific ! xx(
I need to do a much more detailed study of what all the bits are - make, any numbers/ dates etc and try to identify things better. There are lugs for mudguards/ rack, which seemed to indicate a tourer rather than a racer and the pics I've seen of the racer, it has an extra downtube in both triangles.

Research fun continues ...

Thanks everyone for your encouraging input. :thumbsup:

classic33

Leg End Member
Driver's certainly is, haven't tried the stoker's.

Thanks - I'll have a closer look at the hubs, though didn't see any numbers on them when giving the bike a quick wash. I did notice the missing oil filler cap on the rear one though and heard the noise from the bearings... :sad:

Actually, I'm surprised it's that old - I'd been thinking more late '50's and, yes, the mudguards are horrific ! xx(
I need to do a much more detailed study of what all the bits are - make, any numbers/ dates etc and try to identify things better. There are lugs for mudguards/ rack, which seemed to indicate a tourer rather than a racer and the pics I've seen of the racer, it has an extra downtube in both triangles.

Research fun continues ...

Thanks everyone for your encouraging input. :thumbsup:
Check the rear hub for markings
Hub.jpg

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
^ ^ ^ ^ That looks most like it ! Handlebars are different but the rest looks right - though really not sure about the mudguards ! :laugh:
1938, eh ? Just as well it is "Made like a gun" ! :smile:

Thanks @classic33. :thumbsup:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
They don't make bikes of that caliber any more, I bet it goes like a bullet.
Just make sure you don't go off half-cocked, we would all recoil if you came off - safety first.
So kick back, rifle through some shops for the missing parts, even if you have to shell out for them.
Hope you have the foresight to complete the project, and don't end up the butt of any jokes or a laughing stock. Maybe a magazine could do a feature.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just make sure you don't go off half-cocked, we would all recoil if you came off - safety first.
So kick back, rifle through some shops for the missing parts, even if you have to shell out for them.
Hope you have the foresight to complete the project, and don't end up the butt of any jokes or a laughing stock. Maybe a magazine could do a feature.
It's not the "Bullet"

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Interesting that the tube shifters have been relocated, gear change responsibility down to the stoker.

No solo riding this tandem then.:smile:
Yes, I noticed that pretty quickly though it might be possible for the driver (in butt-scratching mode :whistle:) to use the shift, so could be quite a good place for it.

Been having a look at the rear hub and there are no visible numbers or other markings on it.
Front handlebars look interesting - they are marked "Primo Extra" on the LHS and "Giro di Sicilia" on the right.
Not a good pic but ...

Primo bar - RHS.jpg

woodbutcher

Veteran
Someone of your caliber must have a few more shots in your locker !

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, I noticed that pretty quickly though it might be possible for the driver (in butt-scratching mode :whistle:) to use the shift, so could be quite a good place for it.

Been having a look at the rear hub and there are no visible numbers or other markings on it.
Front handlebars look interesting - they are marked "Primo Extra" on the LHS and "Giro di Sicilia" on the right.
Not a good pic but ...

View attachment 351721
They appear to be from the late 50's on
handlebars-.jpg

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
@classic33 - where do you find this stuff ? :scratch: - it's brilliant ! :thumbsup: I searched for Primo Extra handlebars - and all I got were flee-bay and other adverts for them, not the historical info I am after. :angry: Maybe I need to look beyond the first couple of pages ... :unsure:

Thanks. :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
@classic33 - where do you find this stuff ? :scratch: - it's brilliant ! :thumbsup: I searched for Primo Extra handlebars - and all I got were flee-bay and other adverts for them, not the historical info I am after. :angry: Maybe I need to look beyond the first couple of pages ... :unsure:

Thanks. :okay:
Searched using "bicycle handlebars marked primo extra and giro di sicilia". First few were for wikipedia, then flee-bay. Then what you see above.

Tend to search images as well. That's where the 1938 date came from. A £1 dearer in 1939, with nothing showing post war, for Royal Enfiled in tandems, with that headbadge.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
1930s Sturmey-Archer hubs only have a single digit for the year following the model identifier, so the hub is indeed 1938. An AT is basically an AW with a drum brake. The metal oilers can be found relatively easily (they screw in) but the slightly later clear plastic ones are much better as they don't leak. Don't get the press-in black oilers; these only fit later AW hubs from the 1970s to 1980s.

Top Bottom