I've finally seen "Atonement"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
SamNichols said:
Keira Knightley is pointless.
to Kill a mocking bird is definitely one of the better novel-film transitions, but is still slightly blocked by the fact that one's so familiar with the original source text: the film doesn't quite stand up in comparison, although that may just be my opinion.

I am currently going through a Werner Herzog phase, and haven't yet quite seen what all the fuss is about.

Once you've finished Herzog, you can go through Eric Rohmer and find out what the fuss about him was all about too.

domtyler said:
This threads useless without pics! ;)

If you pause this after 21/22 seconds

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATtSfe_DaJU

you'll probably be able to knock one out!

Tetedelacourse

It's only important if the idea is to gain an appreciation of the innovation and contrast to accepted practices and methods of the time. In fact there's no doubt in my mind it did that. As 2 and a bit hours of entertainment though, which was my reason for watching, it fell short. I suppose fairly similar to The 3rd Man in that respect. IMO.

Casablanca was a great story, shot beautifully and laden with brilliant dialogue which still stands up today. As a piece of entertainment, it was and is excellent. Although far less innovative, I can see that.

SamNichols

It did actually do that. It basically re-invented the way a story is told in a movie, by concentrating as it did on a multiple figure narrative. It also revolutionalised the way a film was shot: the first scene was done in one singular pan and tilt, which had never been done before in cinema. All of this from a man who was a first time director who hadn't been heard of at the time.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Sam, obviously you have more knowledge of film and film direction and stuff than me, I just like to watch films and see if I enjoy them... nice and simple :smile:.

I agree that some of the techniques that were employed in the film were, at the time, revolutionary (I did know about the pan and tilt shot) but did you find the film to be actually any good aside from the 'break-throughness' of its direction/production?

I found it be just plain dull.

Rosebud. Who cares?

Sorry, it just didn't do anything for me other than wish I'd got the previous 2 or 3 hours of my life back. :smile:

Top Bottom