I've given up on my annual target

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I normally ride about 2,500 miles in a year.

This year, inspired by the antics of the various cyclists attempting to break year distance records, I decided to give myself a target of 3,650.

I started well, but I fairly quickly got to the stage where I was having to force myself to ride when I didn't want to. This went on for a couple of months before I realised that I really wasn't enjoying the pressure I was putting myself under and as a consequence I wasn't enjoying my cycling.

As a result I barely rode for the next couple of months. I'm now riding as I normally do and back to thoroughly enjoying it again.

Annual mileage to date is about 1,200...I think there's a moral for me in there somewhere:okay:

Chapeau to those who set themselves targets and are motivated enough to reach them, but it ain't for me.

13 rider

Guru
Its quite way to get obsessed with targets . Glad your realised it was spoiling your enjoyment and your back enjoying riding again

pawl

Legendary Member
As long as you are enjoying your cycling why worry.I covered approx 3000 miles last year which was my target,on reflection I was pleased to achieve that target but not the riding
So far this year covered just over 500 miles and enjoyed every mile.Some days just a 15 mile loop and depending on the weather 35 miles
Try to ride three times a week but if I don't feel like it or it is windy or wet I don't bother.
The thing about cycling means different things to different people e.g. Sportive touring etc

What other pastime has so many disciplines to keep us amused a cradle to grave pastime.

gbb

Legendary Member
I never had targets as such but at my peak was always looking to get on the bike, to cycle faster and further...which was awesome while I was motivated to do so....but, after one particually long ride something switched in me..I enjoyed it but lost the desire to hammer myself. I stopped almost instantly and switched to just riding for enjoyment and enjoyed that immensely.
Do whatever feels good.

byegad

Legendary Member
I ditched my cycling computers as I'd become obsessed with trying to improve my average speed, I really enjoyed my cycling once I'd done that.

On a personal note after 6 months where my total is 50 miles, due to protracted illness, my new aim is to get back on the trike next month. If I can do 50-100 miles each month to November I'll be really chuffed. Next year, the moon!

Davos87

Guru
I set myself a target of 2000 miles. Have never achieved it but I did come close one particular year. Funnily enough I rode more and more miles regularly when I was working. Since I retired I seem to have less time for the bike as other things fill my time. Family, DIY, walking, holidays and some days being a general lazy get etc. I still do enjoy it tremendously when I get out but have now revised my target to 1500. Like others have said not half the year gone yet so I still live in hope.

si_c

Guru
I do a reasonable amount of mileage each year, nothing spectacular, but they key is that the majority of it is commuting. I get enough out of that that I don't feel the need to get out every weekend.

Siclo

Veteran
My usual target is 10,000 km, I'm just shy of 4000 at the minute, but having borked my knee at Gisburn and being on crutches for a fortnight, I'll settle for pain free riding and fit enough to ride a 200 randonee by the end of summer. If 10k km happens, great as long as I'm enjoying it, if it doesn't, hey ho

Never take the wheels off the goalposts.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've had too much going on around here to be able to cycle much this year so far, but it's better I'm here doing what needs to be done, than being out on the bike doing what wants to be done. Hopefully get a few more miles in this year, as things improve and progress, and make an effort next year to do some things I didn't get to do this year.

Top Bottom