I've got a cold.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I've got a high temperature, headache, feel weak and feeble and won't alarm you with the detail of colour and consistancy of whats coming out of my nose (sorry chaps I'm a nurse, that kind of talk is standard for me).

Talk me out of using the car tomorrow morning.

Keith Oates

Janner
If you have a really bad cold then giving the commute a miss is probably the best action to take!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
You're a woman. Just do it. Leave the whining to the chaps...:whistle:

Although, actually, the temperature would make me think twice, about working at all. I will work through the snottiest cold, but a temperature makes me very weak and feeble and tends to suggest more than a mere cold.

If the temperature has gone down, cycling will be good for you, fresh air and all that, plus the endorphins from exercise.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
You're a woman. Just do it. Leave the whining to the chaps...:whistle:

Although, actually, the temperature would make me think twice, about working at all. I will work through the snottiest cold, but a temperature makes me very weak and feeble and tends to suggest more than a mere cold.

If the temperature has gone down, cycling will be good for you, fresh air and all that, plus the endorphins from exercise.

Ha ha ha.......

Although the last part of your post may have swung it. :smile:

BSRU

A Human Being
You could try taking your ride a little easier, if possible, a couple of kph/mph slower makes a massive difference, although it can be hard to ride slower than you really want to go.

I suppose it depends on distance

If you give in and use the car you'll quite possibly only end up miserable as the cyclists pass you whilst you sit queueing and going nowhere

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I suppose it depends on distance

+1
If it is only a few miles and your feeling better then take it easy.

10 miles + and feeling like you have just turned into a zombie? wimp out better to turn up and recover than prolong your cold by lowering your resistance to the symptoms by straining your self.

Where i work if you turn up you are expected to work , this could range from driving a fork truck to manually loading parts and handling heavy trailers so if i can go to work i can normally cycle.The exception was when i sheared the connective tissue in my ribs and i was stuck on paperwork duties for a week , cycling with that would not have been fun.

roubaix murry

Hi
Interesting one but last weekend was working and got some horrible flu (ish) symptoms and so took car for 2 shifts. Felt guilty etc etc for missing commute but felt so much better in week when on days off that I managed to get a couple of 30mile + rides in.
So sometimes it worth just taking the hit and driving...............plus load up with everything you can think of, so you you don't have to carry it on bike when your better. The freezer at work is full of my frozen meals now! :whistle:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I've got a high temperature, headache, feel weak and feeble and won't alarm you with the detail of colour and consistancy of whats coming out of my nose (sorry chaps I'm a nurse, that kind of talk is standard for me).

That includes symptoms below the neck (feeling weak and the fever), so I wouldn't go on the bike then. I've also got a cold, but I'm very lucky it's only a head cold, so I've had the gunk coming out, but I'm otherwise fine to ride. I'd not ride with a fever.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I had an off day from cycling last Monday due to a cold. Although it felt good taking the easy option on the motorbike in the morning, when it came to riding home, I really missed the exercise.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

You're a nurse and you're going into work with a cold
icon_question.gif

I suppose I must be a wimp, but my rule is if I'm too ill to cycle in, I'm too ill to work. If you cycle to work and feel bad, then you have to cycle back. I wouldn't cycle with all those symptoms.

I think I've had that cold this week. I spent the first day in bed hoping to shake it off. I walked in the second day for a couple of hours because of meetings, and cycled in the third day although I still felt grotty.

Top Bottom