I've got a cold.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
You need to take two paracetamol carefully put them by your bed and drink a tumbler full of whisky. Stay in bed for three days drinking whisky whenever you wake. On day four throw the paracetamol in the bin and resume life.:biggrin:

To anyone not full of cold the above is good for a quiet weekend too.

punkedmonkey

You have a fever! Not recommended to cycle. Your body is expending enough energy as it is trying to combat that!

I was reading about this in an article in a running book and they were saying worst case you can end up with the infection moving into your heart! I think that is an extreme case - but it certainly will make me think twice!

Note... IANAMP (I am not a medical professional).

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
You have a fever! Not recommended to cycle. Your body is expending enough energy as it is trying to combat that!

I was reading about this in an article in a running book and they were saying worst case you can end up with the infection moving into your heart! I think that is an extreme case - but it certainly will make me think twice!

Note... IANAMP (I am not a medical professional).

Funny you should say that. My boyfriend, who's also a nurse, but a clever cardiac type super nurse just mentioned the same thing - going to dust the car keys off! :biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yep, that chest and fever mean you've got a flu-like virus. Don't cycle, all the sports coaches I know go absolutely mad if anyone even tries to exercise with flu.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have a theory that working up further heat and sweating helps combat the virus. No medical proof though!!

mgarl10024

Über Member
I don't think you should be working either!!!!!

Working with a cold is a really tricky subject, and I still don't know the answer.

My thinking is that my job (white collar) whilst not physical, needs quite a lot of energy from thinking etc. So, to be at home, not working, and using that energy to fight the bug is the best thing. You can also nap throughout the day to keep those batteries charged up. I'd also not be travelling (even by car), and not spreading it to colleagues.

Instead, I often opt for "working from home". This gives many of the benefits of the above solution, but also allows you to be productive whilst resolving you of the guilt sometimes associated with taking time off as sick.

However, even with option 2, I have found that some peers/warriors tend to think it is best to come into the office and make it known exactly how ill you are, and to look down on those who don't take this approach.

byegad

Legendary Member
+1 for a nurse not spreading the bug.

Over Xmas we attended a party. One other attendee was laden with a streaming cold and hacking cough. We both went down a few days later with a really bad cold. I ended up on steroids for my asthma and antibiotics for the chest infection that followed the cold and my wife ended up in intensive care with pneumonia and a loculated empyema. It was touch and go for a few days!

And all because this idiot went to a party laden with cold. Well possibly not but as everyone at the party (Some 30 people.) also came down with a stinker of a cold and four more of those people needed medical intervention for lung problems its a good bet isn't it?

Rant over! I'm glad to get that off my chest! :biggrin:

subaqua

What’s the point
stay in bed. get rid of the cold. Work will survive without you for a few days.

or go in spread it round, take several times longer to get over it.

I speak from bitter experience of a recurring chest infectionj tasking nearly 6months to clear properly as i kept pushing and pushing until i dropped. I had 2 weeks off and it cleared it.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
+1 for a nurse not spreading the bug.

I agree TBH, sadly our HR department doesn't and has a rather stringent sickness policy that means that if I have more than two days sickness in a year I end up on a rather draining, time consuming and dragged out sickness monitoring procedure. that would be in place for over a year and is very stressfull.

I did go in the car, and was grateful of it as I felt as rough as a dog by the end of my 13 hour shift! Luckily I was in charge of my department, which meant I was able to keep patient contact to a minimum and colleagues were sensible enough to keep their distance.

Top Bottom