I've got a week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
The management is off on a course. I've got the prospect of a week of unfettered cycling, wandering about, beer drinking....or sitting about.

Any thoughts, ideas for a circuit where I can pootle along, 40 - 60 km legs and find accomodation en route. Camping is out and my days of bus shelters and bivvying under hedges are long past.
Have done this sort of thing before. But not at my age or with an electric bike.

Will be taking "Hercules", the electric stallion. Travel lightweight, which it never is, but I dream. Change of clothes, waterproofs, tools and battery charger. Trust to electronic navigation.

Near Dover so, despite what's going on, could consider N France or Belgian, Netherlands coast.

Suggestions ???

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
NCN route 2 has history, coast, b&b's and plenty of stuff to see along the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran

Aravis

Putrid Donut
If it were me, I think I'd look at something like this. The route is for illustrative purposes only and no recommendation of any particular road/track is implied:

Rotterdam.jpg

This comes to about 275 miles. You could also do a loop based on Dover - Calais and Dieppe - Newhaven which would be considerably shorter, but I note the preference for Belgium.

A few years ago I did something similar using the Portsmouth - Ouistreham and Cherbourg - Poole crossings, and it was extremely satisfying.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Oh, that does look interesting. Also a bit how the plan is developing.

We had a strong connection with Terneuzen and Antwerp.

Google Zeeuwse bolussen for another reason to go to Zeeland.

So it's looking like, Train to Dover, ferry to Calais. Take the Kust route up to Terneuzen, inland to Antwerp and the train back to the coast. Ostende or Duinkerque.
Thinking, get the ferry to Duinkerque for entry and exit.

Watch this space. Moules frites, Duvel, Zeeuwse blousen.........seem to be on the agenda.

Top Bottom