I've got shingles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Schmilliemoo

Schmilliemoo

Wax on, wax off...
Nah he's just told me to take paracetamol to manage the pain and calamine for the rash.

gavgav

Guru
It does heal on its own. Antivirals only work at the very beginning. Miss the start and you might as well not bother with them according to my GP.
My GP must have missed that day at med school then!! He told me off for leaving it 4 days and said it wouldn't heal without medication.....

vickster

Legendary Member
It does heal on its own. Antivirals only work at the very beginning. Miss the start and you might as well not bother with them according to my GP.
But taking them will reduce the risk of post herpetic neuralgia neuropathic pain which you don't want. I had it when I was about 28 and I still get a burning from time to time around where I had the spots. I had a course of Famvir back then, which is now generic and much cheaper. Used to be £150 for a 7 tablets

I'd go back and discuss medication

gavgav

Guru
I bet he give antibiotics for flu.....
More than likely!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
From the NHS website:

Antiviral medication
As well as painkilling medication, some people with shingles may also be prescribed an antiviral medicine.

This type of medicine cannot kill the shingles virus, but can help stop it multiplying. Antiviral medicine may:

• reduce the severity of your shingles, particularly if you take it in the early stages of the condition
  • reduce how long your shingles lasts
  • prevent complications of shingles from developing, such as postherpetic neuralgia, although the evidence for this is uncertain
Antiviral medicines are most effective when taken within 72 hours (three days) of your rash appearing. However, they may be started up to a week after your rash appears if you are at risk of severe shingles or developing complications.

Commonly prescribed antiviral medicines include:

• aciclovir
  • valaciclovir
  • famciclovir
You will usually have to take this type of medicine for seven days.

Who is prescribed antiviral medication?
If you are over 50 years of age and have the symptoms of shingles, it is likely you will be prescribed an antiviral medication. You may also be prescribed antiviral medication if you have:

• symptoms of shingles that affect your eyes (ophthalmic shingles)
  • a weakened immune system (the body’s natural defence system)
  • a rash on parts of your body other than your torso (the upper part of your body, excluding your head), such as your neck, arms or legs
  • moderate to severe pain
  • a moderate to severe rash

Make of this what you may.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Ouchie.

Had shingles when I was 19. Rest up!!

GWS.

Yes. Indeed. Take it easy.

I went to the doctors six months after getting shingles complaining of feeling run down and was told that I was still recovering from the debilitating effects of shingles. I wish I'd been told how debilitating it was a lot sooner then I'd have taken more than a week off work.

thom

____
I'm sure I'm not dying but I feel absolutely terrible.

I'd love to hear from any survivors just to give me hope! Lol.
Get well soon. My partner had them recently, induced by work stress - it is worth working out if something triggered them.

She was so preoccupied by her work that it took 5 days for her to get a diagnosis. She was travelling and had thought it was bad acne - she was unfortunate enough to get this on her head. Anyway, she went into the doctor expecting some kind of steroid to clear it up and he goes to her : "You've either got Herpes or Shingles"…

Where have you got it ? Your head or stomach ?

Ganymede

Veteran
Come to think of it, my husband got it on a skiing holiday and didn't realise till he got home. It was only mild but he just thought he was a bit coldy. If I'd been with him I probably would have noticed better, the rash was on his back!

Nobody's mentioned this, but I'm sure it's well known: it's the resurfacing of the chicken pox virus ( a herpes variant) that you probably had as a child. That's why you can get shingles several times, it goes to ground in the spine (iirc) and indeed stress can bring it out.

Top Bottom