I've got to drive a big van into London, I'm terrified.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackk1

Next week I'm driving a LWB sprinter from Birmingham into central London for an event near Leicester Square. I'm frankly terrified of having loads of cyclists either side of me and how to move around congested streets in a big vehicle potentially surrounded by cyclists.

Any tips you'd give me to help keep myself and others safe? Particularly worried about left turns, as long as I signal with plenty of time am I likely to have any issues?

Jack

Just take your time and keep your wits about you and you will be fine

If you are really worried about left turns can you take a passenger to act as a "spotter" on the left side?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
a really big yellow sticker with cyclist stay back on it *sardonic grin*

I've not driven in London since the CC and cycling revolution but don't envy you it. As a general rule, are you allowed to drive a van on P plates or would that attract attention of the cops? Thinking it might suggest to others that you're not a grizzled old WVM.

or are you driving with anyone who could act as a spotter?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If you look carefully you'll be ok. You know that ''lifesaver'' look when you're on a 2-wheeled contraption and you check that some idiot hasn't decided to rewrite the overtaking rules in their own favour when you're turning right? Well, do the same before you turn both left and right. And indicate as early as you can: most cyclists are looking out for the flashing orange.

OP
OP
J

jackk1

The chances are I will have a passenger, the spotter idea is a good one and I shall employ it. Not sure about the P plates, something to consider. I can't find anything online that says it's illegal to use them if you've passed your driving test a few years ago. I'll be traveling licenced, properly insured and weighted so nothing to fear from attracting attention from the coppers.

OP
OP
J

jackk1

You remind me of my Dad the first time he saw me driving a van

"Does this mean you can park anywhere you like and just stick the hazards on?"
"No Dad, with great power, comes great responsibility"

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
It's a Sprinter, I'm yet to come across one driven by a considerate human being (they seem to be the Audi of the van world) so everyone should be giving you a wide berth anyway.

As mentioned, indicate in good time. Keep an eye on all of your mirrors (you shouldn't have blind spots in that size of vehicle, but before you start off you might want to have someone walk around it while you sit in the drivers seat so you can see what you can and can't see in your mirrors). Take it easy and if in doubt stop and check an extra time.

It should be fine, just don't let yourself get flustered, but you could also add windows down and radio off if you're really worried, give you that extra option if someone is shouting/beeping air horns at you.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
(you shouldn't have blind spots in that size of vehicle, but before you start off you might want to have someone walk around it while you sit in the drivers seat so you can see what you can and can't see in your mirrors). Take it easy and if in doubt stop and check an extra time.
Good point. See where you can't see.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's a Sprinter, I'm yet to come across one driven by a considerate human being (they seem to be the Audi of the van world) so everyone should be giving you a wide berth anyway.
Nobber!

This was my tool of choice up until a few years ago and I think you will find that, as in all walks of life, there are the idiots as well as the normal and considerate.
myvan.jpg

The mirrors on Sprinters are excellent provided they are properly adjusted, you will have a hard time missing anything in them. Ideally I wouldn't recommend a first trip out in a van would head into London but if you are a fair driver and take it easy you should be fine.

Ganymede

Veteran
I've driven a Sprinter-type van in central London many a time and oft. I wouldn't worry, you sound like a careful driver and that is what matters. My more recent experience driving in commuting hours tells me that having to make a left turn across a cycle lane (eg from a main road into a small side road) is the most trying thing - it's very bad road design and you just have to be incredibly patient.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Is it a hire van? Most people are very wary of any box van plastered with self-drive stickers so you may well start with an advantage. Indicate really early, don't make any sudden moves and spend a lot of time looking in your mirrors.....and don't worry about "holding up the traffic" or honking nobbers.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I once hired a 7.5 tonner, as they were then known; the biggest I could drive on a car licence. I thought it would be just like a transit only a bit bigger. It was huge, and had air brakes which are a whole different game. Strangely though, driving through Cardiff in the rush-hour it was more like Moses parting the Red Sea = I needn't have worried

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
You'll be fine. You have the right attitude, and a Sprinter isn't that big. I've driven motorhomes and 7.5-tonne lorries through London, and it's no problem with care. Use your mirrors, and where possible on left-hand turns leave space between the side of the van and any barrier so if you do get a suicidal BSO rider come up the inside there is room for them. If you have a passenger who can check your blind-spot on the left, even better.

Top Bottom