I've just been to Bradford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

You know how you have a shed, an attick, or spare room where you keep all your junk? Well that's what Leeds uses Bradford for.

Maz

Guru
Therrint' owt wrong wi't folk from Bradford. It's them brummies yuh gorra keep yer'eye on.

Maz

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
Couples faytin in't street? Nay lad, that's true love i' Bradford!
Reminds me a't old joke abaat faytin in't playgraand...

school bulleh kem up to us n sed: Wanna fayt?
a sez to 'im: 'Seven', yuh numpteh!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Maz, excellent S. Yorks rendition there.

A Barnsley man goes into a jewellers with a whippet on a lead. He tells the Jeweller that he wants to imortalise the dog by having a statue cast in precious metal. He explains that the dog has been a reacetrack winner and made him into a millionaire.. The Jeweller warms to the task as the man is clearly loaded and suggests it could be cast one-third size, in bronze, silver or gold, and that he would suggest a diamond studded collar and saphires for the eyes. The man agrees and says "Aye lad, money's no object, cast it in gold."
"Eighteen Carrat?" asked the jeweller
"Nah, chewing a bone yer daft bastard!"

Maz

Guru
Cubist said:
A Barnsley man goes into a jewellers with a whippet on a lead. He tells the Jeweller that he wants to imortalise the dog by having a statue cast in precious metal. He explains that the dog has been a reacetrack winner and made him into a millionaire.. The Jeweller warms to the task as the man is clearly loaded and suggests it could be cast one-third size, in bronze, silver or gold, and that he would suggest a diamond studded collar and saphires for the eyes. The man agrees and says "Aye lad, money's no object, cast it in gold."
"Eighteen Carrat?" asked the jeweller
"Nah, chewing a bone yer daft bastard!"
Class. Pure class. :biggrin:
Must remember that one!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bradford? Wonderful, hub of the known universe. Or it would be if it wasn't for the people and the buildings.

If you ever go to Bradford, the whole experience can be redeemed by going to the Kashmir Restaurant on Morley Street, just up from the Alhambra. I can promise you you will never have eaten food like it, (unless your mum cooked curries for you from birth of course.)

My other great Bradford favourite is the Town Hall carillon, which plays On Ilkley Moor Baht'at every teatime.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Cubist said:
Bradford? Wonderful, hub of the known universe. Or it would be if it wasn't for the people and the buildings.

If you ever go to Bradford, the whole experience can be redeemed by going to the Kashmir Restaurant on Morley Street, just up from the Alhambra. I can promise you you will never have eaten food like it, (unless your mum cooked curries for you from birth of course.)

My other great Bradford favourite is the Town Hall carillon, which plays On Ilkley Moor Baht'at every teatime.

The Kashmir is much over rated and it's been eclipsed by many restaurants in the past thirty years since I first used the place. just over the road is Omar's and the Lahore which foofer value for money meals which are tastier than the Kashmir.

Up Great Horton Road is Chaudray's and Mumtaz which are more expensive but offer higher quality eating experiences.

Heading towards Leeds on the Leeds Road is Zouks - some novel dishes there including curried quail.

Bradford's been mismanaged by its council for years. There's lots of promises but very little action. Locals will tell you wistfully that there's going to be a fantastic sporting facility at Odsal - I first learned of the plans back in the late eighties - still no action.

A huge tranch of shops were demolished to make room for Westfield's development of a retail complex. The hole remains three years on with no sign of any building work.

It lost its rather lame bid for European Capital of Culture and missed out on having a branch of the V&A museum hosted in Lister's Mill in Manningham. The subsequent development of flats in Lister's Mill attracted criticism with its marketing campaign which was along the lines of:

'Work in Bradford
live in Listers
Shop in Leeds.'​

It saddens me to see how Bradford's attempt to reinvent itself have been ovetaken by Leeds, Halifax and Huddersfield.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As Vernon, I usd to go to Bradford almost every Friday for a finger curry. There were a couple of places near the Alhambra, the Kashmir was one but the bogs in some of them were gopping.

We used to start off with a couple of pints in the Manville Arms, a rockers' pub with very loud music and smoke so thick it made your eyes smart. I remember we were in there one night and a woman walked in wearing nothing but a one-piece purple lycra body suit and a medieval chastity belt. We also used to love going to The Beehive on Manningham Lane, an amazing Victorian place with gas lighting and about a dozen hand-pulled beers, coal fires in each room and scrubbed wood floors; it really was genuinely unimproved.

Recently I took a bunch of my cycling club buddies there and they drank Lager, FFS, they might as well have stayed at home and drunk their own urine, then we went to the Kashmir where they moaned because there was no alcohol licence. Philistines.

Top Bottom